Laptop shuts down (low battery) without warning.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Can you provide more information:

- Make and model of laptop and detailed specs
- Whether or not any system updates or restoration attempts have been performed
- Exact text of any error messages you are receiving
- Whether or not you get the same results with your laptop plugged in
- Whether or not the battery has been replaced recently

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
The title is not clear enough for us to even start giving suggestions. Please provide more information as g-unit asked above.

An additional question I have to add to his list is, have you changed any of the "Power Options?" To change the shut down and sleep modes on the computer?

g-unit1111

Distinguished

That could be a factor but it isn't really. I have all the power saving options on my laptop turned off. I'm guessing it's most likely a bad system update.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Wait, what? Arent you the mod? that asked the original questions to Anonymoys? Are you saying you know his power saving options are turned off? I dont see where he said it?

Anonymoys

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Ok.
-Model : HP Pavilion 15-p046na . Product page : http://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-pavilion-15-p046na-156-laptop-amd-a8-8gb-ram-1tb-silver/573-1501.prd
-The problem started after a fail windows 8 update which lasted about 2 hours. I disabled the updates after that. Basically windows started the update,something happened and then the message i think was 'update failed,restoring changes' something like that. No restoration attemts have been performed.
-No text error messages. It just goes to Hibernation without warning because of low battery level. Battery and laptop are 1 month old. As i stated the problem wasn't always there and i used to get the warnings when the battery was at 14%. I did notice this problem after the update.
-No problems when the laptop is plugged in.
-Battery is brand new (one month old).

I wasnt exactly clear on my OP. The problem is that i dont get notified to plug the laptop,and it just goes to hibernate mode,without warning WHEN the battery is on critical levels.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Your battery icon down below in the bottom right hand corner never changes? What does it show? The icon is supposed to change with the level of battery, full, 3/4 1/2 1/4 empty critical, etc.

We could try uninstalling and reinstalling the battery utility for your computer. What do you think? Have you tried any of these things yet?