Eicar Test Virus keeps popping up

peteeez

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Eicar Test virus keeps popping up on AVG as a threat, i keep clicking 'protect me' and i thought that was the end but it continues to pop up again every 2 hours or so. Is there way to permanently remove this file or just something to stop it from popping up all the time, I can't access it at the minute even as admin.

mdd1963

Distinguished
Is your AV identifying a specific file or registry key that is the actual threat, and, can it be quarantined or deleted? You might try suspending your current AV processes, and running the free MalwareBytes Antimalware, as there are few threats that either MBAM or Hitman Pro don't find. (Comodo makes a portable/not installed kit called CCE, which has both a scanner, and an Autoruns Analyzer, which will allow you to disable applications within the registry slated for starting at bootup or logon. It also contains the popular Killswitch app, which will show you what is running when)

peteeez

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

I installed MalwareBytes AntiMalware free and did a full scan and 0 objects were infected

htc4

Estimable
Nov 23, 2014

htc4

Estimable
Nov 23, 2014
Approx. 2014-11-18 this EICAR_Test threat appeared and I chose "remove" but soon AVG re-detects it in c:\windows\temp folder. After several days of not finding solutions on internet, I made a fluke-guess about a second anti-virus BitDefender interferring and after I did uninstall BD (via Windows 7 control panel), plus ran the BitDefender uninstall tool (from their web site). Afterwards, AVG no longer complained. If anyone has a second anit-virus program running (be it BD, Avira, Zone-Alarm, McAfee, .. etc.), do try to remove it first. Be sure to visit each anti-virus developer's web site to determine how to uninstall specific anti-virus program cleanly.

htc4

Estimable
Nov 23, 2014

htc4

Estimable
Nov 23, 2014
Approx. 2014-11-18 this EICAR_Test (or EICAR Test) threat appeared and I chose "remove" but soon AVG re-detects it in c:\windows\temp folder. After several days of not finding solutions on internet, I made a fluke-guess about a second anti-virus BitDefender interferring and after I did uninstall BD (via Windows 7 control panel), plus ran the BitDefender uninstall tool (from their web site). Afterwards, AVG no longer complained. If anyone has a second anit-virus program running (be it BD, Avira, Zone-Alarm, McAfee, .. etc.), do try to remove it first. Be sure to visit each anti-virus developer's web site to determine how to uninstall specific anti-virus program cleanly.