Monster 12.9-inch iPad Gets Delayed (Report)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
It's still amazing to me that all those Apple fans out there would always try and make fun of my Note 2 and Note 3 saying "That's too big of a phone, it looks ridiculous in your hands, there's no need for a phone that big." Now they're all over the 6 Plus, and it's entertaining to remind them of their previous views.

For the record, I'm not a fanboy, I own both an iPhone for work and an Android for personal. Just pickin' on those hypocrites... and I do that for anything, not just phones.

condorxiii

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
It's still amazing to me that all those Apple fans out there would always try and make fun of my Note 2 and Note 3 saying "That's too big of a phone, it looks ridiculous in your hands, there's no need for a phone that big." Now they're all over the 6 Plus, and it's entertaining to remind them of their previous views.

I know where you're coming from but your misguided on one important fact. The people who were making fun of your Note 2 and 3 TEND to not be the same people that are interested in a 6+. I know the people around my life that made fun of the Note 2 and 3 are still the ones that think the 6+ is too big. However, the people who were jealous of large android phones are the one saying 'finally' now that the larger phones are released. There are plenty of Apple fans that don't like the big iPhone 6/6+. Anyways, just my 2-cents from the cheap seats.

ldun

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
hopefully they decide to use strong materials to make the casing of their new iPaid Pro... Unless Apple is getting into the curved screen market :)

TNel

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014
One of my friends got a 6+ and he was complaining for the first hour (we were playing online) about how it's just too big and that he should have just gotten the 6. After about 2 hours he was saying how the size is much better and he's glad he got the larger screens.

People see the size and think it's bad but once you get your hands on it and use it for a few hours you will never go back to a tiny screen again.

thefiend1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Firstly - 12.9" is not "Monster" at all. I held the larger samsung tablet and thought it was a perfect size; better for more productivity and movie watching - especially if it has that same 16:9 format. Secondly - I love me some hi-def ultraness but I think 4k is too much for a tablet. The current resolution on the iPad is beautiful with HD video and 4k just adds more strain on the components which is not good for battery life. I would like 256Gb though... and better amps for music... I dont care if you have to make it thicker. In fact id rather it be thick and have better quality goodies than having a wafer thin tablet.

I still think 10.1 is the sweet spot when it comes to tablets,
12"-13" is the sweet spot for tablets. If you take a letter-sized sheet of paper and subtract 1 inch margins, you get a 12.5 inch diagonal (A4 ends up 12.4 inches). Most magazines (e.g. Time) also fall near this mark. This is the size of displayed text and photos that society has determined to be "ideal" after over 100 years of publishing experience.

The only reason tablets are currently 10" is because technology isn't yet at the point to produce a 12"-13" tablet at a reasonable weight and (arguably) price. The 10" tablets are right around 1 lb, while 12"-13" tablets are closer to 2 lbs. For comparison, several 11" and even 13" laptops are hovering right above 2 lbs. 1 extra pound may not sound like much, but it makes a big difference for a device you hold in one hand a poke with the other to use.

(Also note that the 7" tablet form factor very closely mimics the dimensions of a paperback book. Another incredibly successful size format.)

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Nah, I feel ya, but what I'm referring to are the ones (at least ones I know of) that jumped on the iPhone 6+ after they mocked my Note 2 a few years ago. I understand not all those that make fun of the size of the Note series jumped to 6+, I was just making a general assumption to the ones I personally know. Maybe I shouldn't generalize so much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.