CPU/GPU paring comparison

markyork

Honorable
May 15, 2013
I wasn't sure if this should go in the graphics forums or here, but this question is more about the CPU choice, so here it is:

I'm looking at purchasing one of two Acer laptops. They're very similar except for the CPU/GPU combinations. One has an AMD A-Series 2.5GHz CPU with an AMD Radeon HD 8650G GPU (which only has 512MB Ram - pretty low by today's standards).

The other Acer has a 1.7GHz Intel Core i5 with a GeForce 840M (which has 2GB RAM).

I do high-end gaming from time to time, but also a decent amount of multimedia (Movies/music). There's quite a tradeoff between the two. My tendency is to lean toward the GeForce version simply because of the amount of RAM, but the low processor speed on that one concerns me.

I'd appreciate some input on how much of an impact the CPU will really have on gaming/multimedia performance.

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013
Dont worry about the clock speed so much, the i5 will still be faster than the AMD A-series.

Get the i5 w/ 840m, its the much better machine.

markyork

Honorable
May 15, 2013

Thanks for the response, Rob but I'm confused (and probably showing my technical ignorance) by your suggesting that the 1.7GHz CPU would be faster than the 2.5GHz. What is different in the architectures that would make a nearly 1GHz difference matter that much?

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013

Do you have the specific CPU model numbers for each and we can compare in performance tests?

markyork

Honorable
May 15, 2013

The Acer site has this for the i5/GeForce machine: Intel Core i5-4210U 1.70 GHz. Unfortunately I can't find a product page anywhere on the Acer site for the other one, which makes me think it's been discontinued.

markyork

Honorable
May 15, 2013

Probably a reasonable assumption with the AMD. Interesting. Thanks for the help.