Your question

Is an Antivirus necessary on an Android Smartphone?

Tags:
  • Android
  • Smartphones
  • Antivirus
Last response: in Android Smartphones
a c 255 è Antivirus
a b Ë Android
October 2, 2014 4:23:54 PM

Is an Antivirus necessary on an Android Smartphone?

Comments are encouraged and welcomed.

Blackbird.

More about : antivirus android smartphone

October 2, 2014 4:25:47 PM

I use one just in case. Viruses have been increasing. Generally, if you only use signed/licensed apps, you should be fine without one. But if you're installing apps from the internet for whatever reason, it's best to have one.
a c 255 è Antivirus
a b Ë Android
October 2, 2014 4:27:39 PM

Do you think a FREE version is adequate or should a paid version be used?
Related resources
a c 255 è Antivirus
a b Ë Android
October 2, 2014 7:12:42 PM

Does it slow the operation of the phone at all ?
October 2, 2014 7:21:02 PM

I have never had a virus problem in the past years with android devices, you should be okay without one.
October 2, 2014 7:33:56 PM

I strongly recommend you get one. I have clean master it works as an antivirus, memory boost, cpu cooling and junk file cleaner.
October 3, 2014 1:10:19 AM

Not necessarily. I've been a Android user for quite some time but never have faced any security/safety related issues in mobiles. That is the case when I know what I'm doing with my phone is correct and it is in single hand use.
October 3, 2014 2:15:58 AM

Wooooo. SR-71 Blackbird asked a question !!!!! o.O
October 3, 2014 3:41:18 AM

If any electronic data recording device connects to the internet it most definitely needs an anti-virus.
October 3, 2014 5:14:38 AM

I don't have one, but I am sure it is possible to get a virus on a smartphone, though I never have.
a c 255 è Antivirus
a b Ë Android
October 3, 2014 6:54:25 AM

It's a discussion thread , just getting opinions on the topic.
October 3, 2014 7:09:51 AM

depends what you do with your phone. if your banking or running a business then yeah i would say its essential as you can never be to safe when its your livleyhood on the line.
if your just playing games, browsing, emails and iptv.media then no. just use a good 1 on your home pc and every time you think you need to scan your phone do it with that.
if you dont have a good av bitdefender handles android no problem from what i gather.
October 3, 2014 8:28:33 AM

It's similar to saying if one is necessary on a Mac. Technically there are viruses out there for android, but many are a challenge to find.
I would opt on the side of caution and pick one up, but don't break the bank to do so.

Generally speaking, reviews have found AV performance on android to be lacking - it's really something you would weigh. You've got your two options, you can go underwater without your anti-seabear underwear on, since it is unlikely you will ever meet such a creature, but if the possibility exists you may wish to do so anyway so as to be sure.
October 4, 2014 10:37:59 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Does it slow the operation of the phone at all ?

Haven't noticed any slowdowns on my HTC One (M7) with that one.
a c 255 è Antivirus
a b Ë Android
October 4, 2014 10:43:17 AM

I'm using Bitfdefender right now , but Norton mobile seemed lighter and more responsive.
March 20, 2016 11:51:33 AM

Never in my time using an android phone (and I've been on some obscure places on the web, not saying too much) and I have to say that would be overkill. Out of all the common spyware, malware and Trojans out there the VAST majority are written for Windows OS, and hence do nothing on Android OS. Only a handful of threats exist and its more effort than its worth.
March 24, 2016 2:10:23 AM

I have used avira antivir on my laptops/PC's for 15 years so I thought I'd give it a go on my phone because I trust it to give me the same protection as it does on my computer. So far I am quote impressed with it and it has remote locking/wiping functions too. Very impressed!
April 16, 2016 3:06:33 AM

If you stick to Google play or the App store when you download apps you should be safe.If you use other places than these,use Bitdefender free or AVG free.
a c 255 è Antivirus
a b Ë Android
May 2, 2016 3:11:56 PM

I currently use Kaspersky on my device , very smooth , great protection.
June 2, 2016 4:14:38 AM

I think,if you stick to Google play shop (androids),and dont download anything else from anywhere,you should be fine.Just to be on the safe side,I have Webroots Secure Anywhere free on my Sony Z5.That way I think I am covered.You wont feel its there.
a c 255 è Antivirus
a b Ë Android
June 6, 2016 5:43:14 PM

I think you should use something , even if it's one of the legit FREE offerings.
July 11, 2016 10:36:51 PM

I am using 360 Total Security for my android device. it is Free antivirus and a leader in antivirus software.
July 13, 2016 1:45:15 AM

I have tried using antivirus apps for my tab and my cellphone as well, but have never detected any problem. So I uninstalled already :) 
a c 255 è Antivirus
a b Ë Android
July 22, 2016 1:08:32 PM

I use Kaspersky , very light , great protection.
July 26, 2016 10:46:36 PM

Lets just say this; it's always better to be safe than sorry! These days, it's best, just to be on the safe side! Any FREE Antivirus works, no need to spend money if you don't have to.
August 3, 2016 2:25:13 AM

Actually, nowadays viruses are less effective than less ram or memory. If you are running with 2gb or more ram in your android phone than I am sure you don't need an antivirus. But for me, a clean master is enough to take care of my 1 GB ram android phone. Every day I just need to clean up cache memory, cool up the phone when gets heat up.
Antivirus Software- A "how to pick" for the slightly nerdy user
Disclaimer: By using this tutorial, you are not necessarily going to be given the absolute best protection possible. What this guide will walk you through is how I personally pick out the best performer for my personal picks of antivirus software. I... See full content
August 5, 2016 11:18:39 AM

Honestly, it is up to you BUT if you look in your settings then you will find that you can tell your phone to warn you of any serious threats. Other than that, I don't use an antivirus.
December 14, 2016 2:29:51 AM

Of course needed. No doubt in it. Being an android device, it has become the prey for malware hackers since billions of people are using it. Hence it is a must to have a antivirus software. The best antivirus software would be Comodo Antivirus which gives overall protection for android devices.
December 17, 2016 11:10:15 AM

Android doesn't need an antivirus system unless you're downloading software not from the Google Play Store such as APKs. Google now-a-days sends a Security Patch to your device (If it's running 5.0.1 or Higher) to keep it secure. However, if you're running an outdated version of the Android OS, (4.4 or below) I recommend Malwarebytes.

December 18, 2016 8:34:38 AM

If you download apps without play store, you can use antivirus. But I seem antivirus is not necessary for android device,
January 13, 2017 2:14:27 AM

I had an Antivirus when I downloaded a lot on my phone, but it started to slow my phone, I deleted an Antivirus and had to clear my phone. After that I don't have an Antivirus. But if you download many files, I think it's better to have one.
January 16, 2017 4:15:54 AM

Yes. As more and more adware are increasing, an antivirus app is necessary to keep the junk out of your system.
February 19, 2017 1:34:17 PM

Why Android does not have its own antivirus, similar to MS Windows Defender in PC?
March 1, 2017 4:43:16 AM

As of now, no we don't, as the "virus community", if you will, hasn't yet released viruses on a large scale for Android. But it is a given that in the future, viruses attacking the Android system will definitely be made - its status as the most used mobile OS ensures that. Just remember that the sole reason that viruses are abundant for Windows only, and not for Mac and Linux, is the fact that Windows is still the overwhelming choice of OS around the world, hence making the time invested by the virus-maker worthwhile.

Most viruses rely first and foremost on the user's complicity. Most of them can't just function on there own. For example, you have to download an infected email, or install an infected software to really allow the virus to function - you get the gist. To be fair, Android is a much more tightly-knit OS than Windows, as performing even very small tasks requires the user's permissions. Also, the apps run in a sandbox, separated from the system, so there is a very low chance of infected apps ruining the system. But there are a hell lot of ingenious coders out there, who would certainly find ways to infect your phone.
March 1, 2017 12:18:52 PM

melbincresto said:
As of now, no we don't, as the "virus community", if you will, hasn't yet released viruses on a large scale for Android. But it is a given that in the future, viruses attacking the Android system will definitely be made - its status as the most used mobile OS ensures that. Just remember that the sole reason that viruses are abundant for Windows only, and not for Mac and Linux, is the fact that Windows is still the overwhelming choice of OS around the world, hence making the time invested by the virus-maker worthwhile.

Most viruses rely first and foremost on the user's complicity. Most of them can't just function on there own. For example, you have to download an infected email, or install an infected software to really allow the virus to function - you get the gist. To be fair, Android is a much more tightly-knit OS than Windows, as performing even very small tasks requires the user's permissions. Also, the apps run in a sandbox, separated from the system, so there is a very low chance of infected apps ruining the system. But there are a hell lot of ingenious coders out there, who would certainly find ways to infect your phone.

Hope that one day, Android will have their own out of the box antivirus, that come with Android OS, similar to the Windows Defender for the Microsoft Windows.
March 30, 2017 2:17:00 PM

My thoughts go with it being recommended....I use Trend Micro, but I have used AVG, Avast and several others....all do a decent job, but they do slow down your device in some manner.
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS