Optical cable sound cuts out on LG Soundbar (NB3740) when changing channels on TV (Insignia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasthor1

Estimable
Sep 30, 2014
Greetings. I recently purchased a new Insignia TV (NS-50D55ONA15) and a LG sound bar (NB3740). I have Dish network (hopper) connected HDMI port 1 of TV, a Sony Blu-ray player to HDMI port 2 and the LG Smart Sound bar to HDMI port 3. The TV audio is connected to the sound bar via Optical cable. When I change channels or change from one connection to another (from Dish to Blu-Ray player, etc.), the sound will stop.

I can reactivate the sound by 1) Resetting the TV audio settings ( changing from PCM to Raw then back to PCM); 2) By cycling though functions on the LG Soundbar remote back to Optical; or 3) By unplugging the optical cable and plugging it back in (either at the TV or the Sound bar).

I assume there is a conflict somewhere. I have exchanged the sound bar once and the television twice (upgrading to a different Insignia model the second time) and the problem continues to persist.

Following are my audio settings:
LG Sound bar - Digital Output - PCM; DRC - Auto; HD AV Sync :0 ms
Auto Power is OFF; TV Sound Connecting is: ON SIMPLINK/ARC: ON
Insignia TV settings: Tv Speakers: OFF; Digital audio/SPDF: PCM
Other settings: Auto Input Sensing: ON
Dish Hopper Audio Settings: Audio Output - Decoder set to: Dolby Digital/PCM (other option is PCM only); Volume leveling: Disabled; and Mode: Line (other option is RF). Other settings: HDMI CEC: OFF
That is the info I have as to my settings.
Thanks for any help or suggestions you might have.
Tom T.

I would try connecting the optical out from one of your sources (dish box preferable) directly to the soundbar and see if the audio drops out without the TV in the hookup. You said you exchanged the soundbar but it is not unusual for an entire production run to have the same problem. Maybe a different soundbar.

thomasthor1

Estimable
Sep 30, 2014
Greetings Eternal champions and other followers of this tag. I attached the optical cable to my Dish box and it worked much better, though it went out a couple of times. As a result I have purchased a new sound bar (Sony). Apparently it is an issue with the batch of soundbars from LG. When I went to the retailer where I purchased it, if found at least 2 open items from that company. I think it is a comparability issue. I will be sending in my soundbar for repair since i cannot return it to the store. Thanks for your help.

CPF69

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015

I just bought the same TV / Sound Bar, and I'm having the same problem. Were you able to get the LG sound bar to work correctly?

the happy texan

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015
I had this problem and the previous posts solved my problem. I don't think the brand matters, i think it's simply a connectivity issue. You need to connect the optical audio cable from the cable box (u-verse box in my case) to your soundbar. Turn the TV speaker off and you are good to go. My set up is a 47" LG TV with a Polk Soundbar and Motorola U-verse box, but again, i don't think the brand matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.