Greg Petsul

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
I purchased my laptop just over 2 years ago now and I have noticed it slowing down quite a bit over time. Some files (eg. Msconfig) take 10-15 second just to open, and things like my browser take ~5 seconds to open when it previously would open instantly, and it often stops responding or slows down a lot when i have multiple tabs up and I know my specs are able to handle it.

I noticed i have a lot of processes up and I thought maybe that was part of the problem but im not sure which ones I should be closing. and my ram is constantly using 3gb even when i shut everything down (even shutting down steam and Skype etc.)

here are a few pictures take note the ram picture was taken after i shut down some processes and the other pictures aren't up to date with the ram (at that time it was using well over 3gb)

http://imgur.com/a/VgdIZ

I have been searching things up on the internet on how to increase the speed and took some of those steps and I haven't really noticed much of a difference.

What processes should I shutdown and what other steps could I take to increase the speed of my laptop?

I can't say much without knowing more about your specs but here are a few things you can do.

1. Turn of any programs that you don;t use
2. Use lightweight anti virus software
3. Have limited shortcuts or put programs in folders
4. Clean your laptop

The slowdown can also be caused by age. This is common in many low end laptops as their components get worn out faster than high end ones.

Greg Petsul

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Thank you for replying!
My specs are:
8gb Ram
intel core i7 - 3610QM 2.3GHz
Nvidia geforce GT 650m 2gb
Windows 7 Home premium

I wouldnt know what else to put

Greg Petsul

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
I tried turning off most of the program I'm not using but i don't want to turn off anything too important.
what do you mean by clean my laptop? and I'm using Norton 360 I'm sure that's pretty heavy duty but I feel its best to keep it on. also i feel my programs are generally in folders, My desktop screen is pretty bare.

I mean literally clean it so it is free of dust. It could be age. With age laptops normally slow down. The anti - virus software may also be another thing that is slowing the pc down as it hogs resources. I had a similar issue with avg. So i switched to windows defender with anti - malwarebytes - another software.