Loud fans on Asus Zenbook UX301LA-DH71T

cpraf104

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
I have a 256GB SSD, i7, 8GB RAM above-mentioned Asus ultrabook. Since I got it two days ago, the fans have been acting like I'm playing Crysis (I haven't gamed a single second, I have only installed stuff like office, matlab, etc) and are super loud. I have been surfing the web, nothing intensive.

I've been trying to look this issue up, but this problem seems isolated to few individuals. Most users say that the laptop is very quiet, but there are a few here and there that say that the laptop has been super loud in terms of fans since day 1.

To add more info, the fans do occasionally turn off when I'm not doing anything, like I only have task manager open. CPU usage doesn't go above the teens, so I don't understand why the fans are going into overdrive. But they soon turn right back on when I open Chrome or such. Help, please!

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Download a program such as HWmonitor that records the temperatures reported by the sensors and please post a screenshot here with the temps when the fans are on high. It might just be running hot for some reason. If it's not or the sensors report the wrong information, it may be running at maximum speed as a fallback to prevent overheating.

cpraf104

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014

http://imgur.com/Y882BKT (speedfan)

http://imgur.com/BRUNXJV (hwmonitor)

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Okay it's definitely not the temperatures then because that's all very cool for a laptop. If you bought it new, I'd recommend contacting Asus about it, as you may have a defective temperature sensor somewhere, which would likely be covered under your warranty. At the very least, they might have more info on why it might be happening.

cpraf104

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014

Thanks for the response, at least. I can't do that right now as I am going to be off to college in a week or two and this issue isn't really significant enough to warrant an urgent response. Funny enough I was typing something up on word and the laptop was dead quiet (at least it was for the few seconds I took off my earbuds which were blasting music from spotify running on another desktop that I was using to multitask along with my new laptop; so only microsoft word running and it isn't going into overdrive.) maybe it's got to do with chrome?

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

Possibly, especially if you had a lot of tabs open. Flash in particular leads to higher CPU usage. Another thing that might be happening is that Windows or your antivirus may have been doing some sort of maintenance, or windows may have been indexing your PC or downloading/installing updates.