Status
Not open for further replies.

mthatcher206563

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Hello, i am new to unlocking and overclocking, i only have a basic system to experiment with, i am working with a AMD Sempron 145. Whenever i try to unlock the other core, the computer shuts down and restarts and says in the post that the unleash mode failed. Does anyone know where i am going wrong?

wr6133

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
The other core is unstable. Its not garuanteed that unlocks work. Many are locked down as they the core was knackered and then sold as a lower model using the stable cores.

wr6133

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
Any AMD CPU with unlocked cores is far from certain you can unlock. Some are locked because they need to make more of a lower range. Alot are locked though as the other cores are bad so rather than throw away they lock it and sell as a lower model with less cores.

Its luck of the draw unlocking any CPU. Dont buy one thinking you can unlock successfully. Buy the CPU that YOU NEED and if it unlocks further thats a bonus

Slickrick214

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
It's doing that because the fourth core is unstable. There is a reason why it is a three core CPU and not a quad core. Back when AMD started making the Phenom II they had a problem with some of the quad core CPU's and they were unstable. Instead of trashing them they deactivated one of the cores and sold them as three core CPU's. Yes you can unlock the fourth core the catch is that it might not be stable. In that case you have no choice but to set it back to three cores or get an actual quad core CPU.

Slickrick214

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Oops I dont know why but I thougt he said Athelon II 3 core. Still though the end point is still the same though it's unstable and his only option is to go back to a single core because it will not run as a dual core.

wr6133

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
Ok, am i doing anything wrong or have i just got the wrong hardware?
Is the AMD Sempron 140 better to do this with?

Yep and this approach means you may as well have bought the dual in the 1st place

wr6133

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
How so hard? If he has the right mobo its pretty straightforward

Just as he has found out to his own expense you should never buy one and count on a stable unlock. You should buy what you need and any extra mileage you get is a bonus.

Last i checked a Dual Athlon can be found for not really alot more than a Sempron.

mthatcher206563

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
So for an AM3+ socket, what would you recommend would be the best CPU to get to do the unlocking with.
I'm just after a bit of experience with this for when i build my next computer.

mthatcher206563

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
So for an AM3+ socket, what would you recommend would be the best CPU to get to do the unlocking with.
I'm just after a bit of experience with this for when i build my next computer.

wr6133

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
I wouldnt recommend you buy any CPU and count on it unlocking its PURE LUCK

However if you insist try a Phenom II 960T. Mine unlocked and more than half the people i have spoken too with one managed a stable unlock from 4 to 6 cores.

If it doesnt unlock stable you still have a fast 4 core that can overclock alot. However these are getting harder to find so buy one while you can if you want one.

Slickrick214

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

I would just get a pure quad core or hexa core CPU. As I said there is a reason those CPU's are locked in the first place and the chance of it unlocking and being stable is all luck.

wr6133

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
Llano is basically an athlon with built in graphics. So if your gaming just stick with normal CPU's and a separate Graphics card

loneninja

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

Llano is an alright budget processor, it's essentially a 32nm Athlon II with integrated graphics. I wouldn't bother looking at one though, since you have an AM3+ motherboard and Llano uses FM1, they aren't compatible.

I also find trying to unlock pointless even if learning for a future build, AMD currently doesn't manufacture anything that can be unlocked the way Athlon II/Phenom II did. FX 4100 and FX 6100 both use the same die as FX 8150 but have modules(cores) disabled, and there have been no reports of unlocking these yet, it seems AMD found a way to prevent core unlocking. If your not aware, Athlon II/Phenom II are no longer in production, so those won't be around for long to bother trying an unlock on.

Status
Not open for further replies.