Best smartphone under $400 (no contract)?

WindWaker98

Estimable
Sep 1, 2014
Hey everybody,
first off, I'm new here. I used to use LinusTechTips, but I think tom's Hardware is better.

I'm wanting to get a new smartphone. Right now I'm using a Motorola Atrix 2, and it works decently, but I want better battery life, better performance, and a better camera. I've considered a Windows phone, because I have used one before and like the layout. I like Android, but all of the Android phones I've ever used seem to be laggy/buggy. I would never use an iPhone due to them not having expandable memory nor a removable battery.

So my question is, what is the best Android/Windows phone that has a removable battery, sd card support, a decent camera, and good performance for less than $400?

Thanks,
Dylan

Solution
You could always go for a Galaxy S3/S4. They should be within your price range, even off contract, and fills all your requirements. I know those phones get a lot of flak for a variety of reasons, but I've been using my S3 for years and I've always liked it. It probably helps that I use Cyanogen and not the whole Samsung TouchWiz thing--I think that's where a lot of the complaints originate.
Assuming you don't do much with your phone I would recommend the lumia 520, its should be able to do everything you need and it is cheap if you search for it. I don't know if it has sd card support, I think it does. Otherwise if you want an android device then moto g

You could always go for a Galaxy S3/S4. They should be within your price range, even off contract, and fills all your requirements. I know those phones get a lot of flak for a variety of reasons, but I've been using my S3 for years and I've always liked it. It probably helps that I use Cyanogen and not the whole Samsung TouchWiz thing--I think that's where a lot of the complaints originate.

Solution