Should I get a camera if I have a smartphone?

DR0PBASS

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
I love to travel hiking/biking/camping and I want to get a nice camera to bring with me to document all the places I go good quality 1080p video but I have an android RAZR M with a pretty nice camera that can record in 1080p. I was wondering would it even be worth the money to buy an actual video camera or should I just use my phone? I don't know too much about cameras. What are some of the benefits of getting an actual video camera over using my phone?

Better zoom range and quality (optical zoom instead of just enlarging the image), better low-light capability, image stabilization, better control over the image exposure and focus, probably better battery life (which isn't connected to your ability to make calls), more than likely better image quality overall, more storage capacity with memory cards which are easily swappable, special functions like time-lapse or limited slow-motion capability, better audio quality plus the ability to add an external microphone.

However, there's a saying among photographers: "The best camera is the one you have with you." You can own the best, most expensive camera in the world. But if you don't bring it with you on a trip because it's too bulky or heavy or you just plain forgot it, the smartphone camera is better.

Is there anything in particular that dissatisfies you with your smartphone camera's video? That's probably the best way to judge if you should buy a dedicated camera - if there's something you find lacking or is hindering your ability to shoot video/images.

SoupNutz

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014
I agree. There's nothing like good optical zoom. It doesn't matter how many tens of megapixels you've got. If you can't properly zoom in on something. Optical is the king. That's just personal choice mind you

DR0PBASS

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for your input guys while I agree with you that for quality I need a good entry level professional camera, I've decided to hold off on it and just use my phone to start off my new photography hobby. Just so I can save up for a really nice camera.