Surface Pro 3 alternative to desktop pc?

tomas_v

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
I am going to buy Surface Pro 3 (didn't find any other decent alternatives)
But I have doubts on what version should I get.
Did any of you guys use it as a main pc?
I have good enough PC (i5 2500k, 8GB, SSD, 560TI).
Most of the time it is some light gaming (quake 2, BF4) internet, movies, web programming (Dreamweaver), photo editing with Photoshop. If i take some work home then its Photoshop and Illustrator.
Would I feel any considerable difference if I would get i7 version of Surface?
I am traveling quite a lot so I would take it on my travels. Also taking notes, so again would use Surface instead of paper notepads.
My thoughts were: get i7 surface, sell desktop pc
or
get i5 version and keep both.
What would you do in my place?
Thank a lot.

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
Keep your desktop, and get the i5 version of the Surface. The Surface is a nice product that straddles the line between ultraportable notebook, and tablet. However, I would not want to use it for professional Photoshop, or video editing projects. Despite what they say, it is hardly a desktop replacement for real work.

Mike Zwarich

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014
I have the Surface Pro 3 i5 8GB RAM version, and use it as my primary laptop and desktop (using the official dock). My workload is similar to yours, including Illustrator and InDesign.

I was in your place, and I chose the SP3 for everything. I don't know whether the i7 edition will make that much of a difference, but it is expensive. So I guess the real question is: is the extra cost feasible and worth it?

What I can tell you is that the SP3 i5 runs Creative Suite just fine, as well as anything else non-gaming I've thrown at it. In terms of gaming, Civ 5 runs smooth on reduced settings, but Kingdoms of Amalur is unplayable even on reduced settings.

For your listed uses, I would recommend the SP3 i5 if the extra portability and features are worth the extra cost to you. If money is more important, there are less expensive options, but most of them compromise on size or battery life or performance. The SP3 is not over-priced, it's just premium and priced as such.