Nvidia shield tablet vs Razer Edge pro

ivancv15

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
Ok so here is the deal. I want to buy a good gaming tablet that can also be used in console mode, which both of these offer. I will mostly use it to stream my pc to my tv, but i will use it ocasionally when im away from home visting family. These are both amazing tablets and the console mode on both and being able to play on any tv is honestly a big reason why im buying one. Not sure wich to buy, its too close to call and well razer and nvidia are my two favorite manufacturers.

Solution

Statistically, the Razer Edge Pro is significantly better but the 640m le is also older than the tegra k1 and has a lower clock speed. If I were you I'd go with the Razer Edge Pro. (Seriously, turbo or not, THREE GIGAHERTZ ON A TABLET, THAT IS INSANE...

XtremeAero426

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Statistically, the Razer Edge Pro is significantly better but the 640m le is also older than the tegra k1 and has a lower clock speed. If I were you I'd go with the Razer Edge Pro. (Seriously, turbo or not, THREE GIGAHERTZ ON A TABLET, THAT IS INSANE SPEED FOR A TABLET)

Razer Edge's Advanatages
- 6GB more RAM
- Significantly more storage (even with/without 64GB MicroSD Card)
- Faster Turbo Speed (THREE FREAKING GIGAHERTZ HOLY ####)
- USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Slot
- More Software Support (Windows 8 vs Android)
- Double the GPU Cores
- Faster Transfer Rates & Startup (SSD vs SD)
- More VRam

Nvidia Shield Advantages:
- Faster Base Clock Speed (2.2 GHz vs 1.9 GHz)
- Higher Resolution (1920x1200 vs 1366x768)
- Newer GPU
- Higher GPU Clock Speed (950MHz vs 500MHz)
- SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive
- More Availability (I CAN'T FIND A RAZER EDGE PRO IN STOCK)

Other Thoughts:
- Razer is an 10.1" tablet while the Nvidia Shield is a 8" tablet
- Razer is known to have better audio

Sources:
http://shield.nvidia.com/gaming-tablet/
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-edge-pro

Solution

ivancv15

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
I did see that the razer can actually play pc games on its own. That being said the nvidia console mode is mostly for emulators and android game, along with suporting 4k and 4 remotes instead of razers 2.

ivancv15

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014

Ebay has a few of them.

XtremeAero426

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Okay.... So some of the used ones are less expensive. Nice to know. ._.' (That price tag on the new one....)

Meatballsaucey

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
As a (former) owner of both systems I can tell you that the Edge pro with all of the accessories is a good tablet and it performs well as a stand alone system. However the battery life is horrid. The weight makes it very difficult to lug around. I purchased a 17" laptop backpack to tote the tablet and accessories around in and that sucker on a scale weighed 18lbs. With all of the accessories I purchased the Edge pro for $2,200.00 new from Razer. I ended up selling it on e-bay after 1 year of use for $1,900.00

While the Shield may be a smaller solution I have found that it does just about everything the Edge does but with some added benefits. Obviously the cost is a big difference. At $399.00 + 59.99 for the controller. Game stream is the next bonus. All of my PC games on my tablet with very low latency. This is actually a bonus over the edge as I don't have 2 separate installs and save states. Outside the house as long as you have a decent ISP you can get the same results as in house. In addition to all of that you get android. And most will agree android is a better mobile operating system than windows 8.1 the apps are better and there is many more of them. Batt life is night and day. While streaming pc games i can get about 2 hours of play which is 2x the edge

I sold my Edge pro went to the shield portable and never missed a beat. Now with the shield tablet I have exactly what I was looking for when I bought the Edge.

I recommend the shield over the edge all day long.