Demonsaw Promises Free, Secure File Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
What happens when the user goes offline? Will all the other users that have downloaded a part of the folder still be available? Can that folder be reconstructed by all the parts available on the network? By what name and address would that reconstructed folder be accessible?

Eijah

Estimable
Aug 13, 2014
Demonsaw is the convergence of a decentralized Cloud application and P2P. Think of it like the offspring of DropBox and BitTorrent. Demonsaw completely hides your IP and safeguards the data that you transfer, making it impossible for anybody to track what you're downloading. As far as your questions go, partial file downloads are fully resume-able and transferable across different clients. This means that clients going offline won't affect the availability of the download as long as the number of available file chunks is high enough (similar to the number of seeds in torrents). The IP that Jill's referring to in the article is actually the router's IP, not the client's. I've written an FAQ and Help that should explain any other questions you might have. www.demonsaw.com @demon_saw

Jill Scharr

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Thanks, Eijah! As for virtualban's first question, you'll probably want to host the router and server on a machine that won't be turned off regularly.

Eijah

Estimable
Aug 13, 2014
That's correct. The router must be accessible for clients to perform message-driven activities such as joining groups, searching, browsing, and transfer requests. Once a transfer request has begun the server(s) take over and the router is no longer in the loop. This is cool for a couple of reasons: 1) The abstraction of the message and data exchange allows demonsaw to completely secure your file sharing, and 2) there are tremendous performance gains by offloading transfers to 1:N servers. The demonsaw server software can run as a Windows application or be deployed as a .NET Web Application. Since web hosting costs have decreased in recent years, you can get .NET web hosting now for < $5 per month. This makes for a very inexpensive solution to share large amount of data while piping it all through 3rd parties (and not your home router). Since demonsaw data is encrypted at multiple levels, web hosting companies and 3rd parties will not be able to discern what you're sending across their networks. In fact, not even the router knows what you're transferring - it's that secure. I've been updating demonsaw.com with FAQ and Help over the last few days. I should have it completed by the end of this weekend. I'll even make available my full Defcon 22 presentation which explains all of this in detail. http://www.twitter.com/demon_saw

Status
Not open for further replies.