Computer overheating problems.

rangelrod

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
Recently my computer would overheat for no reason. I have core temps showing me the temperature, and on start ups. It's already at 65c. When i'm playing league of legends it rises to 80. the problem is I can't play anything else for some odd reason. I can only play terraria for an hour before it crashes. It runs at 100c when i'm playing terraria, or any game on steam. I even cleaned the computer out today, took me 3 hours to dismantle it and get to the fan. (HP pavilion G6). I never had this problem during the past year I had this pc. It begun a little around april, but it was never this serious as to crash on easy running games. Keep in mind, I don't want to invest too much money on this pc. I did buy a cooling pad awhile ago, it did help a little, but what the temperatures are right now, is the cooling pad working.

CompuTronix

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
First, make sure that your cooling fan is working. You should be able to hear it running, but if your CPU cooling fins are clogged with dust, you might not be able to feel any airflow at the exhaust port.

Use a strong flashlight in a dark room to see if any light is visible through the air intake port on the bottom to the exhaust port on the side or rear. If you can't see any light from intake to exhaust, then look from exhaust to intake. Use a can of compressed air and a vacuum cleaner to alternately work the dust from the intake and exhaust ports. It may require 20 to 30 minutes to get all the dust out. Keep checking with the flashlight as you progress.

If the fan is working OK and you get all the dust bunnies out, then your temperatures will return to normal.

CT :sol: