Best folder structure for external sd card?

oldlincoln

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
64gb sd card in Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 formatted, mounted, and visible in the file app with 0 files. I want to put music, books and pictures on it so I know I want folders labled Music, Documents and Pictures. Question is do I need parent folders and is there a specific naming structure so apps will recognize the files?

Sub question is how make the apps point to the right folders? I cannot find a default folder/directory is the apps so far - but I'm still learning.

Solution
On an SD Card, the structure at which you place files does not really matter. Those files are just there the be stored and read, that's all. The position of a typical music, text, or image file should not matter, as long as it has a way to be accessed.

As for pointing apps to the right folders, it depends on what you are trying to do. When you install an app and choose a path, everything should work fine, but if you move a program's files to another folder, it requires Registry Editing usually to fix it. To edit the registry hit Windows Key-R and type in "regedit.exe". Then it requires you to find the folder relating to your app and to type in the new directory of where you moved it to. If you have any questions please ask :)

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
On an SD Card, the structure at which you place files does not really matter. Those files are just there the be stored and read, that's all. The position of a typical music, text, or image file should not matter, as long as it has a way to be accessed.

As for pointing apps to the right folders, it depends on what you are trying to do. When you install an app and choose a path, everything should work fine, but if you move a program's files to another folder, it requires Registry Editing usually to fix it. To edit the registry hit Windows Key-R and type in "regedit.exe". Then it requires you to find the folder relating to your app and to type in the new directory of where you moved it to. If you have any questions please ask :)

Solution