delete old/install new operating system on a phone/tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kknd2

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
I'm a massive newb when it comes to phones and tablets (mainly because I don't have a need for them when I have decent pc). After some research I realized it's a massive pain to reinstall a new operating system on a phone/tablet comparing to a pc. why is this? (atm i'm thinking of deleting the android on nvidia shield tablet and installing windows 8 on it, since I dont know how to do pretty much anything on a tablet). Is there any benefits of making it very complicated of changing OS on a phone/tablet?

TY

The reason why you can just install new OS on a tablet like you can a pc is because of compatibility.

A PC uses a standardized x86 or x64 cpu and has drivers for windows/mac/linux for most hardware.

A tablet uses an ARM cpu and at this time this is zero support to install windows on an android or ios tablet. There is also no driver support for the gpu, board or other hardware to install on windows.

The only OS change you might have availible to you is to gain root, unlock your bootloader and instal a custom android rom made by developers in the androd community

kknd2

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

so the CPUs on tablets (like say a intel atom... actually that might have been a laptop cpu now that i think about it ...) can only cope with a certain variety of hardware (driver)?

i thought windows 8 was suppose to be the "tablet OS"? then surely there are tablets that can tolerate windows?

rgd1101

Don't

sure there are tablet that come with windows 8.

kknd2

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

so basically the phone/tablet market allows for very little interchangeability. That's depressing :I

The nvidia shield uses a cortex a15 cpu, not an intel atom.

Yes windows 8 is on some tablets, but that does not mean every tablet will support windows 8. Some oems have designed tablets with arm cpus to run windows but with great amount of programming development and resources from the makers of the hardware.

At this time there is just no Windows 8 ARM software you can buy and load on any tablet, microsoft does not want this to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.