Sony MDP-455 won't play disc, just ejects

Huxley

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Hi everyone!

I bought a Sony MDP-455 LaserDisc player at a Goodwill store several years back, along with a few dozen movies ("Blade Runner: The Directors Cut"! Yum!) for $20 or $30. Now, here I am, wanting to (finally!) get this thing running, but I'm having a snag. When I load a LaserDisc movie, the tray shuts (after I push the "Close" button), the player flashes "PLAY" for a bit (it also shows the same flashing "PLAY" on the TV screen), but after a few moments, the tray slides back out as if I'd ejected the disc. I tried doing the same thing with an audio CD, and it (more-or-less) repeated the same pattern, but with considerably more time spent flashing "PLAY."

Any ideas? I'd hate to let these great movies (not to mention cool player!) continue to go to waste!

Thanks,

Huxley

BigMac

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2003
If you let this player lay around for a couple of years then it would not hurt if you gave it a thorough cleaning job. Laser optical devices do not take kindly to an accumulation of dust. Be careful with cleaning the optical system, lenses and all.

If it's an electronic failure then you're just out of luck. Not a chance you can get it repaired for the kind of money you spent on it to start with. You might be able to find another laser disc player somewhere so you can enjoy your discs but these players tend to become collector's items nowadays.

Huxley

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Hey, thanks for the reply!

Your guess was correct - after removing the cover and poking around in the guts, I was able to see that the mechanism that raises the disc off the tray was working fine, but the disc wasn't spinning and the laser assembly wasn't moving on its track.

Long story short - after a few (semi) gentle bumps and drops (a few inches onto thick carpet), whatever was blocking the works came loose, and the 455 is now working like a charm!

Thanks again for the advise!

Huxley

tonycor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

I have a large library of laser discs that I decided to start viewing. But when I reconnected the MDP-455 to my system I had the same problem. The tray would close and then open on its own so the unit could not play any discs. I opened the unit and attempted to load a disc with the housing off. I noticed that the main spindle that is supposed to lift into the center of the discs after the tray closes did not lift. So tried the "gentle bump" approach . But the jarring did not release the mechanism. However, I also noticed that there is one black rubber drive belt that is visible when the housing is removed and that that belt looked a bit over-stretched. I removed the belt and saw that it had taken on the shape that it had been sitting in for years including two rounded "kinks" matching the diameters of the two pulleys. I reinstalled the the rubber belt making sure that the kinks did not realign with the pulleys. And the unit started functioning properly. I have ordered a new belt: Sony Part No. 3-949-030-01 (I hope).

Kamikazi2142

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
good luck to you fellas, and remember, when needing a new belt what worked for me with an old (i was 9 at the time) answering machine was a rubber band, millions are made daily, and they come in all sizes, just visit a local hobby shop and that should help solve your problem temporarily. if your axle doesn't have a tip to prevent the belt fix from slipping off try a washer held in place with another rubber band rapped on the tip, should keep it in place after then... assuming this fix would fit.