Surface Pro 3 for internet PC games like Combat arms and Vindictus?

andrewkim9711

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I'm building a gaming/workstation computer in the end of the year, but I also want to get a tablet.

I'm going to be away from home most of the time so i want a tablet that can do everything my computer at home do (gaming and recording music)

and the games I'll be playing on the tablet is combat arms, mabinogi and vindictus. Combat arms, compared to other popular games like COD, have much lower graphics and require much lower hard drive space.

Mabinogi also. It's probably a little bit lower than WOW.

do you think the surface pro 3 (Intel i3 4gb ram) could handle it?

i also will be running photoshop cs, dreamweaver and vegas pro 11 on it.

Solution
Most free to play MMOs generally have low requirements to make them playable by most people. I do not know of the games you have mentioned. The only F2P MMO I play is Star Trek Online (STO)

The laptop I use to play STO has a Radeon HD 8850m, but I have played the game using the integrated HD 4400 @ 1600x900 with low graphic settings just to test it out and for the most part the game plays fine. The laptop has the Core i5-4200u CPU.

My laptop currently only has 4GB of RAM and from time to time when playing it with the Intel HD 4400 I get a low memory error message. Don't forget that integrated graphics needs to use system RAM. Therefore, I recommend 8GB of RAM (gonna upgrade soon). I can still continue to play, but one time my laptop...
Most free to play MMOs generally have low requirements to make them playable by most people. I do not know of the games you have mentioned. The only F2P MMO I play is Star Trek Online (STO)

The laptop I use to play STO has a Radeon HD 8850m, but I have played the game using the integrated HD 4400 @ 1600x900 with low graphic settings just to test it out and for the most part the game plays fine. The laptop has the Core i5-4200u CPU.

My laptop currently only has 4GB of RAM and from time to time when playing it with the Intel HD 4400 I get a low memory error message. Don't forget that integrated graphics needs to use system RAM. Therefore, I recommend 8GB of RAM (gonna upgrade soon). I can still continue to play, but one time my laptop froze because of that.

The problem with the low end model of the Surface 3 Pro is that it uses the Core i3-4020Y CPU. It is not as powerful as the Core i5-4200u since it is designed for low power consumption. It will have the Intel HD 4200 graphics core which is slower than the Intel HD 4400. The HD 4200 may or may not be decent enough to play games with. The Core i3 is only running at 1.5GHz, I am guessing it would be okay, but in areas where there are a lot of other players you will probably experience some lag issues.

If I were to buy a Surface 3 Pro to play STO, I would get at the very least the Core i5 version selling for $999. However, I would strongly consider the $1,299 version due to the larger SSD capacity and 8GB of RAM.

The 8GB of RAM would mean that the Intel HD 4400 should perform a little better (about 10% - 15%) because with just 1 stick of 4GB RAM, the RAM only works at half speed which can be a bottleneck. However, with 2 sticks of 4GB RAM, the RAM will be operating at full speed allowing for faster data transfer.

Solution

Mike Zwarich

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014
It may be worth it to check reviews to see gaming performance comparisons between the SP3 and similar ultrabooks. I suspect that the SP3 has very similar gaming abilities though. If you want high-end gaming on a laptop, you're going to have to go with a discrete video card, which I believe is not available on ultrabooks.

I have an SP3 i5 8GB RAM version, and I can play Civ V very smoothly on reduced settings. Kingdoms of Amalur is more-or-less unplayable though. I don't know how FPS are handled - I do my high-end gaming on my desktop.