Surface Pro 3 Worth it i5 256gb 8gb ram mid priced version 1299$

tlane

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Intel HD4400 will allow you to play some games. Just consider that the Surface Pro 3 has a higher than 1080p screen, and Intel HD4400 isn't going to be able to play games at that resolution with any decent framerate. You will need to drop the resolution down to something lower to achieve decent framerate. Having said all that, if you are worried about playing games, maybe the SP3 isn't the right product for you? Will your primary use be taking advantage of the portability and WaCom pen support for note taking / handwriting / drawing??? If not, it is possible that there are other devices that could suit your needs for less. The SP3 is an amazing product however it is not for everyone and their usage scenarios.

ganogreted

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
Just consider that the Surface Pro 3 has a higher than 1080p screen, and Intel HD4400 isn't going to be able to play games at that resolution with any decent framerate
CYbOsn

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
I would not recommend it. That is an overpriced tablet in my opinion, and integrated graphics will not be very good for games.

However, it IS good for browsing and stuff, and CAN play some older games like Age of Empires III with good graphics and framerates. I think that you could find a cheaper one that meets your needs more fully, unless you really need the mobility of course, this would be best.

Netech

Estimable
Aug 12, 2014
I got the SP3 last week with those same specs. Its a high powered machine minus the graphics card so its good for everything except for gaming. If you look at the youtube videos people were able to run games but at a lower fr and features turned off.

Mike Zwarich

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014

----------------------------------------------------

The SP3 is NOT a "tablet" in the sense you are obviously using. It is a full-fledged computer, not a glorified Netflix / email / web browser. It is an ultrabook with a detachable keyboard.

If you compare the SP3 to ultrabooks with similar specs, you will find that the SP3 is not over-priced. Tom's Hardware actually did exactly that a few months ago.