straight talk on verizon phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelPam

Estimable
Jul 19, 2014
I want to buy a new cell phone with a larger screen I also wanted to be able to have this new phone on straight talk with Verizon towers. Is that possible? And which phone do I have a choice of?

Solution
Currently Straight Talk only provides service for 3G based Vz phones. If you want LTE/4G Vz service, then you are currently out of luck.

Prior to July 17, 2014, Vz 4G/LTE was completely a post-paid program. In July, Vz provided 4G/LTE to its prepaid "ALLSET" service. I have seen rumors that Vz will provide 4G/LTE service later this fall. I am currently using ATT through Straight Talk, and while the service is good on the road, around my house, it is very poor.

So, bottom line, if you want Vz 4G/LTE service through Straight Talk, you are currently out of luck. If you have a non 4G/LTE phone (i.e. Vz phone without a SIM) then Straight Talk may work.

Hopefully, Vz 4G/LTE will be available in a couple of months......

techtechie

Estimable
Jul 9, 2014
no it is not unless you get the phone, which needs to have a sim slot available, carrier unlocked. the straight talk network runs on at&t towers which carries the gsm signal and verizon towers have the cdma signal.

NBSN

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014
Supposedly if you get a phone that ends with the letter "C" it will be on Verizon towers. That is according to several posters on Walmart's website. I know that my wife got us phones recently through one of TracFone and depending on the model phone they are on different networks. So we specifically went after the model for Verizon network.

Gene_W

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014
Currently Straight Talk only provides service for 3G based Vz phones. If you want LTE/4G Vz service, then you are currently out of luck.

Prior to July 17, 2014, Vz 4G/LTE was completely a post-paid program. In July, Vz provided 4G/LTE to its prepaid "ALLSET" service. I have seen rumors that Vz will provide 4G/LTE service later this fall. I am currently using ATT through Straight Talk, and while the service is good on the road, around my house, it is very poor.

So, bottom line, if you want Vz 4G/LTE service through Straight Talk, you are currently out of luck. If you have a non 4G/LTE phone (i.e. Vz phone without a SIM) then Straight Talk may work.

Hopefully, Vz 4G/LTE will be available in a couple of months......

Solution

jhustlequickmoney

Estimable
Dec 13, 2014
I have a droid razr maxx(from vw) and it has a 4g lte micro sim its contract is up so i went through straighttalk telling them that the replacement 4g att sim needs to be activated. Well of course att wont work beings vz 4g lte runs at 700mghrts well they sent me another replacement sim made for vw i had to purchase a network acsess code for 7$ and once i received my sim they ported my old number. So vw does have sim beings its the only way to get 4g lte and st does have them also my phone is capable of all networks. (So it states under settings)

Lyzieann207

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014

How did you get your Razr Maxx to work with Sraight Talk? I did everything they told me to do but it just sits on the "wait while we activate your new phone" screen forever and doesn't work. I have NO idea what to do! I have the VW sim card that the Straight Talk BYOP package came with, in my phone right now, but nothing....

Kmm24

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

I'm pretty sure this is complete crap. Any att/T-Mobile/gsm phone will work on straight talk without being unlocked as long as you buy the straight talk sim. Most use Verizon towers, but some use sprint or att.

KimarieSings

Estimable
Jun 22, 2015

techtechie--sorry but you are wrong and you are giving people incorrect information. Straight Talk DOES use AT & T towers, but they also activate CDMA phones, and recently added 4G/LTE service. Like the previous poster stated, you can call ST or go online, pay $6.99 for a registration code and ST will send you a CDMA compatible SIM card for free.

Maverick88

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015
Gene you are completely wrong because mine is running on vze 4G lte towers now we just switched to Verizon last month with our verizon phones that we had and used the Verizon sprint cdma sim card and our service is the same as what we had with Verizon note 3 and galaxy s5

Marinalynne

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015
I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy s4 that works perfectly on straight talk with the Verizon towers. But I just recently bought another phone, the exact same one and can't get it to work. The people at straight talk told me that the Sim card I was using isn't compatible with the phone, even if its the same kind that my other phone uses, a micro Sim. They insist on sending me a nano which doesn't even fit in my phone correctly. I'm so confused.

Wen_1

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

Did you check straight talks website and enter your imei to see if it's compatible?

elizabeth_2

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015

Hi, I just ran into this same issue and believe me its only one big ISSUE!!!!!!!!!! i wanted to only transfer my number to this verizon HTC thunderbolt phone from the att phone i was currently using and by the time i got off the phone with those Ignorant so called Americans, I was ready to blow up every straight talk company in the united states. One question of transferring my number to another phone cost me a weeks worth of work, no phone working for over 7 days, 3 sim cards being sent, 2 which didn't work, and haven't gotten the third and a complete change of mind all the way around about using straight talk for anything other than garabage!!!!!!! Im on my 7th day as we speak and them idiots just told me I have to have another sim card bc the one I have, the one theyve been telling me will work in so many hours, does not work!!!! Agrravation Aggravation, and extreme negative remarks that i have for straight talk and to top off everything else, Not One cs rep can tell me the same thing the other one saids. It's like they are comjpletely IGNORANT!!! As soon as my plan ends, I will NO LONGER EVER use straight talk again.. It's almost worth paying the extra for anotrher carrier than to have endure the headache and ignorance you get from straight talk....

Catfish399

Estimable
Sep 27, 2015

Polar Bear King

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015

Ok. I'm a tech guy and ran my own experiment. As of about 6 months ago. Straight talk has these sim kits for about $50-60 at Walmart depending on your area. The sim kits contain 3 sim cards packs with 3 Sims in each. Micro, nano, regular so all 3 sizes for all carriers. I bought a Verizon phone off eBay (make sure the phone is clean esn and paid off if it was on a financed plan). I inserted the verizon sim card (into the galaxy note 3, samsung s5, and Motorola bionic, those were the 3 verizon phones I tested). I learned the hard way I had to purchase an "apn access code" for like another $11 I think, it was done online and instant and instructions on how to program that apn into the phones. After that, it took about 3 hours for all services to completely function, but I did get 4glte via Verizon towers. The key is buying a Verizon phone, if you buy an att phone, then use the att sim card pack, again the straight talk sim card kit comes with like 9 sim cards for the diff carriers and sizes. This all started (after research, straight made an agreement with the carriers and that's when the sim card kit launched) you do not need an unlocked phone though most carriers will walk you through unlocking your phone as long as you have had service with them for 12 months (this is also new standard). If you want to buy specifically a straight talk phone that works on Verizon towers, you have 2 options. When your in walmart, look on the package that has the red usa map, this indicates that phone works on Verizon. You should quickly see that the multiple phones will have the diff color usa maps printed on the box, blue is for att, pink is tmobile, red is verizon, I think green or yellow is sprint. This is the more accurate way. But they are not the best of phones. So if you go online and see the s3 for sale, you have to call and ask for the verizon model (the problem with this is, they don't always send the verizon model), but given the s3 is like $300 on straight talk, you mind as well go on ebay and buy a Verizon note 3 for like $250, it's 4 times faster and larger screen. Note: I have heard problems with iPhone coming from other carriers doing the "BYOP" sim card kit. I don't use iPhone as it lacks in features compared to android, so I do not know about bringing Iphones over. I am honestly shocked apple is even still in business, I give them credit for hanging in there. You figure after a company loses a battle for 8 years straight they would just give up. I give my blessing that one year apple may just beat android to break the cycle, unlikely, but who knows android may slip up, they all do eventually.

Kevin_27

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015
I don't use iPhone as it lacks in features compared to android, so I do not know about bringing Iphones over. I am honestly shocked apple is even still in business, I give them credit for hanging in there. You figure after a company loses a battle for 8 years straight they would just give up. I give my blessing that one year apple may just beat android to break the cycle, unlikely, but who knows android may slip up, they all do eventually. [/quotemsg]

What's wrong did somebody make fun of you for having an android? I don't think I would consider record breaking profits "hanging in there" lol

Barorot

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
How do you post a question on this thread? Anyways I was on the phone with straight talk and they said my note 5 isn't compatible with strsight talk? Why not? Is it because I'm still leasing the phone through verizon? I bought my wife a iPhone 6s through verizon but with no plan and I got the straight talk to work for her. How can I get my phone to be compatible for straight tal

Status
Not open for further replies.