now that netbooks are dead...

kneller

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I'm currently using a netbook, which is my favorite system. It's an old HP Mini running Linux Mnt and it runs faster and smoother than my brand new Lenovo with Windows 8.1. This is what I like about it:

1) The size. It's small, but the screen is still large enough so everything is readable. I can take this with me anywhere, and it's much less cumbersome and obtrusive than a full sized laptop
2) Configurability. The first thing I did when I got this machine (it was a hand-me-down), was wipe Windows out and put on Linux. Additionally, I'm still tweaking the finer features so I can get this machine exactly as I want it. I like being able to pick and choose my software, and not being stuck with some of the commercial defaults.
3) Full keyboard. Absolutely essential. I do a TON of word processing on it, as well as using it for email and internet forums. It's actually my primary work machine just because I do a lot of work on the move.

Now that Asus and Acer have stopped making netbooks, and netbooks in general are being phased out of the market, I'm thinking ahead to what I'm going to do when this one goes. Is there a product out there that can fit my needs, or am I going to have to start scooping up old netbooks now so I can refurbish them and have a replacement for this one? Thanks.

kneller

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
They make linux distros for Chromebooks? I don't know much about them, but I thought they basically just tablets with keyboards attached.