Can't decide between Gigabyte vs MSI vs Lenovo

So, which one do you think is the best choice?

• MSI GS60 Ghost Pro - 052

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gigabyte P35Wv2

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Lenovo Y50

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosp94

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
Hi everyone, so I am absolutely torn between these 3 laptops and honestly can't make a pick. I am no computer expert but I know my way around the terms and understand what each component does fairly well. (My 3 picks are at the bottom)

I am making a switch from a rMBP to a PC and wanted my new PC to be able to run demanding games at High Settings with no problems, examples of games are Battlefield 4, Crysis 3, Assassins Creed, so on and so forth.

Just to give you some background info as to my decision, wants and need or whatever let me start off by listing my preferences in the laptop I was looking for:

Size: 15.6'' with 1080p full HD
CPU: At least, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
GPU: I found that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M suits well due to my laptop picks (however, I am not an expert so any recommendations of any other graphic cards that run games at High settings are much appreciated). Also, please recommend the amount of dedicated VRAM.
Memory: I guess 8gb of RAM is enough for my needs (not sure though)
Storage: I wanted 240gb or 256gb of SSD as the primary hard drive (can be a single SSD or dual and enable RAID0 to get faster performance) and a secondary hard drive of 500GB-1TB HDD

So I guess that covers the basics. But most importantly I wanted to buy a gaming laptop that is still SLIM
I know I am asking for a lot but it's not impossible at all. After surfing around the internet for some weeks and doing my research I have found these 3 laptops that match my needs and wants. However, I have no idea of the quality or reliability of any of these so I need your help to help me decide.

I don't really have a budget concern as long as it doesn't go over $2000 so I guess that makes it easier to find what I want.

Here they are:

MSI GS60 Ghost Pro - 052:
Best Gaming Computer | Best Gaming Laptop | Cheap Gaming Laptop Computers | Gaming Notebook | Pro-Star.com
I found this website to offer the cheapest upgrades so thought that was cool.

Gigabyte P35Wv2:
Gigabyte P35Wv2 Gaming Laptop: iBUYPOWER® Gaming PC
Found a good price on that site but haven't really found much more.

Lenovo Y50:
XOTIC PC | Lenovo Y50 (59425944) - 15.6" Gaming Notebook
Looks like there's a lot of flexibility for the laptop however I am not loving the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M, do you think this will still run my games at High settings?

Felipe259

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
First of all: yes the GTX860M can handle your games on high (Crysis 3 on high with an avg of 50 fps), but not on ultra.

I had to step away from the GS60 because of my budget but that's the one I would pick between those 3, being MSI > Gigabyte > Lenovo.

I'm staying away from Lenovo Y series because they tend to overheat. The Gigabyte and the MSI are up against the Razer Blade 14" so they are at a whole new level, leaving the Y50 behind.

Mohsin_Ali

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014

The Y50 does not overheat infact it is one of the best gaming laptops around when it comes to staying cool. However performance wise it does fall behind the MSI GS60 and Gigabyte P35Wv2.

The MSI GS60 Ghost pro has a horrible battery life (just around 50 minutes of gaming), and heats up like crazy when gaming.

The Gigabyte P35Wv2 has an excellent battery life approx. 6+ hours of average use and slighty under 2 hours of gaming. However it also heats up quite a lot and its fans are really loud and distracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.