Sign in with
Your question

Which smartphone is best for making phone calls?

Last response: in Cell Phone General Discussion
July 16, 2014 3:07:13 PM

I often get frustrated when trying to answer a phone when driving a car. Yes, it's against traffic code, and there is plenty of auxiliary equipment available for drivers to facilitate calling, but what if you just happen to answer/make a call and have nothing but your phone at the moment. My Xperia J is a disaster in that respect, with lags lasting half a minute or more. Could you recommend a smartphone that takes this basic function seriously.
a b \ Driver
July 16, 2014 3:12:42 PM

OK, I'm going to be 'that guy'.

Hang up the damn phone and drive the car. There is no phone call that you need to receive while driving that is worth my life.
Period.

Now that we have that out of the way - It's a phone. It should answer a damn phone call. If it doesn't, you bought a sucky device.

I'll give you one guess as to what the license plate says.
m
l
July 16, 2014 3:21:37 PM

You wouldn't drink and drive I hope? Then you shouldn't be talking and driving.

If you ask me the lag's fine if it keeps you from using the phone.
m
l
Related resources
July 16, 2014 3:49:42 PM

My wife and I were not hurt, but we got crunched a couple years ago by some drone yammering on her cell phone. You are controlling a 2K-4K pound hunk of metal and plastic at high speeds, that is capable of doing a lot of damage, and bringing serious injury or death to any in its path; you need to maintain control of that path. Hang up the phone and drive.
m
l
a b \ Driver
July 16, 2014 3:55:12 PM

I wound up upside down, hanging from the seatbelt, covered in broken windshield glass.
The other driver had a full 10 seconds of redlight, looking at her iShiny and not looking out the window. Ran the redlight and hit me broadside at 55+mph.

Thankfully, the truck cab and seatbelt did its thing, I crawled out, 99.5% unhurt. My truck, OTOH....:no: 
m
l
July 19, 2014 7:45:16 AM

Get a phone which can be synchronised with your car like the nexus 5 which uses bluetooth to connect with your car. Otherwise don't answer the phone unless your in a safe place to do so
m
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter