Android Wear vs Pebble Steel: Smartwatch Face-Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolio Tools

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
Ridiculous assumptions made here are that Pebble is an eInk screen when it's nothing more than a low res LCD. It is by not means high quality and shouldn't really be on the list of Smartwatches with it's 3yr old technology.

2nd Worse most ridiculous assumption is the misinformation out about Samsung and LG's screens being unreadable. But I know the reality is only Samsung's Gear Live gets mentioned the most often! .....why?

Because Wear OS is not as Optimized yet, as Samsung's Tizen Gear Smartwatches. Which improved battery life to within reach of Pebble's DEAD Colorless LCD screen. Yes Pebble is an always on screen. But you better not be using the Weather/Clock Widget or you'll be getting only 2.5 days with latest update!

Get Real... naturally you can't see the screen on an Amoled screen in Wear Dimmed mode in direct sunlight! Just wake up World and Kill all this Samsung Hate, just because they PWN Apple and every other smart device maker in sales right now!!!

jinogungon

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
@Coolio Tools

Check your facts first before posting anything. Commenting without knowing anything only makes you look stupid and arrogant.

https://getpebble.com/discover
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2429049,00.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper#Wristwatches

The Pebble/Pebble Steel uses a low-res e-paper display. That's the same display used by Amazon's kindle. Also, the review said and I quote "Like the Live, though, the G Watch's screen is virtually unreadable when dimmed and viewed in direct sunlight." They didn't say it was impossible to read in all cases. You're the only one thinking that. And Samsung hate? There was no tough love or criticism of Samsung in the article. You're the only one who thinks that.

But on an unrelated topic Samsung's Touchwiz is ugly, bulky, and uber slow. And their phone designs are ugly and cheap. I say this together with many other people all over the world who have the same opinion. No device, no product is perfect. Each device has it's pros and cons. It's how the companies improve on those criticisms that reflect what you perceive as hate. For example Apple listened to criticism regarding the antennagate scandal of the iPhone 4 and improved it on the 4s and the 5. How about Samsung? Since the S3 many have criticized the ugly plastic, the home button and touchwiz. But did Samsung listen? The Galaxy S5 is your answer. Compare the S3 with the S5 and you see very subtle changes in the design.

http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-vs-Galaxy-S4-vs-Galaxy-S3-Display.jpg

READ UP. Get your facts straight first. Dumbass.

morrisdev

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014
After reading this, and many other articles, I ended up buying a Pebble Steel.

I am extremely happy with it. Much more than I ever expected.

I think what really, truly, makes the difference is that pebble isn't trying to replace your phone. I'm on the bus with a kid on my lap, my watch gives a light buzz, I glance down and see it's an annoying client.... no digging around for my phone. I just ignore it. I'm in the shower, get a call from an important client... I get out and answer it.

It has actually cut down on my phone usage. In the past, if I checked my email on the phone, I can't help but answer it. However, I've found myself being very selective now about answering stuff on my phone. Important things are often left until I get to an actual computer, semi-important things qualify to pull my phone out of my pocket, and unimportant things can get ignored.

That's just the basic notifications. No apps at all.

Beyond the notifications, the screen is a huge seller for me. Maybe people are desperate for color, but I need to have visibility. I am outside a lot and a Gear isn't going to do it for me. Half the time I can't seem phone's screen in the sun. The Pebble is very very clear. Even underwater.... I was swimming in the bay this morning... no problem. Middle of the night, a quick flick of the wrist lights it up.

Seriously. Maybe it seems cheesy to some people, but until there is a color screen that can last for a week and be visible in bright sunlight, I'm not changing.

Anyway, the Pebble Steel is a really nice watch. I'd say that it's key feature is that it enhances your smartphone experience rather than trying to replace it.

morrisdev

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014
After reading this, and many other articles, I ended up buying a Pebble Steel.

I am extremely happy with it. Much more than I ever expected.

I think what really, truly, makes the difference is that pebble isn't trying to replace your phone. I'm on the bus with a kid on my lap, my watch gives a light buzz, I glance down and see it's an annoying client.... no digging around for my phone. I just ignore it. I'm in the shower, get a call from an important client... I get out and answer it.

It has actually cut down on my phone usage. In the past, if I checked my email on the phone, I can't help but answer it. However, I've found myself being very selective now about answering stuff on my phone. Important things are often left until I get to an actual computer, semi-important things qualify to pull my phone out of my pocket, and unimportant things can get ignored.

That's just the basic notifications. No apps at all.

Beyond the notifications, the screen is a huge seller for me. Maybe people are desperate for color, but I need to have visibility. I am outside a lot and a Gear isn't going to do it for me. Half the time I can't seem phone's screen in the sun. The Pebble is very very clear. Even underwater.... I was swimming in the bay this morning... no problem. Middle of the night, a quick flick of the wrist lights it up.

Seriously. Maybe it seems cheesy to some people, but until there is a color screen that can last for a week and be visible in bright sunlight, I'm not changing.

Anyway, the Pebble Steel is a really nice watch. I'd say that it's key feature is that it enhances your smartphone experience rather than trying to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.