Need to Buy New Laptop for Aging Mother

entimaniac

Estimable
Feb 24, 2014
I know what to look for in specs-wise when it comes to computers but I haven't worried about a laptop in forever; I just build desktops and have a smartphone for all my mobile needs. I'm hoping to get advice about build quality more than anything I guess.

So my mom has now been able to retire and she needs a new laptop. She has arthritis and a couple of illnesses that cause her to be weak and a little shaky so a tablet is out of the question at this point. She just got a bit of money from an inheritance so money isn't entirely an issue, but I'm going to avoid advising her to get an Apple product; much more band for the buck when going for a PC and she is familiar with Windows. A touchscreen on a windows 8 PC wouldn't hurt but isn't neccesary. I'm really looking for something that is durable, light, good battery. It needs to be durable, the last dell inspiron that she got a couple years ago she broke the screen on when she stumbled a bit and put some pressure on the top of the closed laptop. She didn't fall on it, it was on a shelf and she barely put any pressure on it, dang thing just had too much wobble in it.

I know this is vague but its meant to be. I just don't have any recent experience with new laptops and I'm all ears. Thanks!

entimaniac

Estimable
Feb 24, 2014

That looks just fine for anything she will need. Do you have any experience with it? Again, I'm looking for something that's not going to fall apart if it gets bumped a bit or something.