Mic pickup too low in Windows

Causa

Estimable
Jul 6, 2014
Hello all,

Not sure if this is the correct subforum for this, as it's computer audio. Mods please move if needed.

Okay so I have a Plantronics Gamcom headset, 3.5mm headphone and mic jacks. It work perfectly in Skype, but I've recently been trying to use windows speech recognition. The program can barely hear me at all.

I've turned the volume and boost all the way up, tried separating the jack inputs in Realtek HD, I've made sure the mic isn't muted in windows sound, etc etc...

Finally I'd read this was a windows 7 issue so I upgraded to 8.1, and I still have the same issue.

Computer stats are:

FX-6300
Geforce 650 Ti
8 gigs ram
430w PSU
Biostar A960D+ is my motherboard.

I made this thread earlier in the Windows 8 forum but it seems to be gone, and I can't find it in my profile, so this is round two...hoping it will stick this time.

Oh, and new problem as of today: Now it says I've unplugged an audio device when I plug something in, then it says I plugged it in when I unplug it. Functionally I can now plug in both my mic and headphones, then I have to unplug one of them for the other to be detected.

I've updated my bios and my audio drivers since 8.1 update.

Edit: Today I went to Best Buy to pick up a USB headset, however they were out of stock on the one I wanted, and the rest in my price range were 3.5mm. Plus since my mic works in skype, I am convinced it's a software issue.

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Since the headset works fine in Skype is definitely does not seem to be a hardware issue. Possibly bad drivers? Are you using the latest driver version?

If you can't seem to get it resolved, getting a discrete sound card would probably fix the issue. I would try to avoid that just because that is another $30 that I'm sure you probably wouldn't want to spend.

Causa

Estimable
Jul 6, 2014
Well I actually ended up buying a usb headset and it worked great. I was able to complete windows voice recognition, use it in programs that use windows voice (like Steam and Voiceattack), and all issues resolved!