how to link up pioneer subwoofer.

casper013

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
I recently bought a pioneer s-slw500 subwoofer which connects using bare positive and negative cable and my amp connection uses one coax connector. here is an image of the rear of the amp http://www.hifidatabase.com/static/gallery/6/6006-sony_STR-DE875b.jpg.
is there a cable i can buy or a certain connection i need to solder?
cheers

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
For some reason that link is not working for me.
However that is a passive sub and if the output on the amp is coax then it is designed for an active sub,ie one with a built in amplifier,so to use that sub you will need a power amplifier that you plug the coax into and the speaker output of that amp would connect to the sub.

dooda43

Estimable
Jul 7, 2014
Not sure what's happened to your link, but it seems to refer to a Sony STR-DE875. The sub-woofer connections appear to be phono plugs, also known as RCA connectors, so they will only drive a powered woofer (this is confirmed by the specification which gives the output as 2 volts into 1 kilohm. You may get acceptable results from connecting your speaker to the centre speaker connection, which accepts bare wires, if you are not already using it. It could result in distortion from high frequencies fed to it, in which case a low-pass filter would be needed.

makkem

Distinguished

Hi
Are you sure about that ?
If you connect a passive sub which is in effect just a speaker to both the left and right speaker connections on the receiver then you will in effect be connecting the left and right amplifiers together which is not a very good idea and you will also lose the stereo effect.
This would also reduce the load resistance which may overload both amplifiers.