Looking to purchase a new tablet for school

Yoshimara

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
Hi I am looking to buy a tablet for school, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is This Your First Time Buying A Tablet? Yes / No.
Yes
2. Do you already have an operating system in mind? If so specify (iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, Windows RT, Windows 8, etc)
No
3. What screen size do you have in mind? And your preferred resolution (not required but helps)?
9.4 inches (240 mm) by 6.6 inches (169.5 mm) or something similar to that like the Apple IPad Air
4. Preferred Brand(s) - (ex. Microsoft, Samsung, Asus, Apple)
Microsoft or Apple
5. Brands Not Preferred (specify why) (ex. Hannspree, Acer, etc.)
Android
6. How much do you want to spend on your tablet?
$800 or less
7. Do you have cellular service? Or do you want the tablet to be WiFi only?
I haven't decided....I want only WiFi for now but may want cellular service for later in the future.
8. If you do have cellular service, who is your provider and how much data are you allowed per month?
Verizon, unsure
9. Do you want the tablet to be a full laptop replacement?
No
10. What existing apps do you use? What do you intend to do with this tablet?
I need storage of at least 16 GB with a VGA and/or HDMI connection and adapter, in order to connect to classroom instructional technology systems. I would mainly be using it for opening up e-textbooks and taking notes on it. No other apps is necessary except for a Vital Source program that is used to open up the textbooks.

I have been reading some of the other similar threads on here and have done a little research on my own, so I am slightly familiar with the tablets that are available. If you could please provide some reasoning behind the suggestions you make that would be great.

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

-Bella

Solution
Hi, for use in school the only tablets you should consider are either iOS or Windows tablets. I personally prefer Android but the reason as to why I'm excluded it is that the OS is not properly optimized for tablets as of now.

Basic Stuff:
•iPad Air/Mini (with Retina Display)
•With the WiFi only versions of iPad Air and Mini (with R.D.) starting from just $499 and $399 respectively, both iPads give great performance and awesome looking devices. If you would like to get the cellular version then add $130 to the base prices.
•Now, from Basic Stuff I mean nothing more than reading ebooks, creating and editing documents, Photoshop and stuff, surfing the internet. If that is all you need then close you eyes and get any one of the above...

Arjunsinh Jadeja

Estimable
May 26, 2014
Hi, for use in school the only tablets you should consider are either iOS or Windows tablets. I personally prefer Android but the reason as to why I'm excluded it is that the OS is not properly optimized for tablets as of now.

Basic Stuff:
•iPad Air/Mini (with Retina Display)
•With the WiFi only versions of iPad Air and Mini (with R.D.) starting from just $499 and $399 respectively, both iPads give great performance and awesome looking devices. If you would like to get the cellular version then add $130 to the base prices.
•Now, from Basic Stuff I mean nothing more than reading ebooks, creating and editing documents, Photoshop and stuff, surfing the internet. If that is all you need then close you eyes and get any one of the above mentioned iPads that fits your pockets and fulfills your storage and connectivity requirements.

Advanced Stuff:
•Asus Transformer Book T100 64GB/32+500GB/64+500GB
•Microsoft Surface is just too expensive and nor do you need all that power. So the best budget detachable Windows Laptop is the Asus Transformer Book T100! It's basically a Windows Tablet with a proper Laptop like keyboard (even better than what the Microsoft Surface has) dock. If you get a "+500GB" model than your keyboard dock will house 500GB inside it. So as soon as you dock it in you'll get even more storage memory to use. You can get one for $300(64GB) /$350(32+500GB) /$499(64+500GB).
•With a Windows based device you can do pretty much everything there is to do. You can perform every task that the iPad could do and you will also be able to access full-fledged MSOffice and Photoshop, use all your other favorite desktop applications, do programming and stuff.

Verdict:
•Both iPads and the Transformer Book have their pros and cons. You will lose certain functionality but gain another. So it is important for you to decide that what you want.
•With the iPad you can get a perfect form factor. Your tab looks sleek, slim and stylish. Also it is very lightweight as it just weighs 480g (the WiFi only version is even lighter). You get iOS which has wide library of games and applications which will run on your iPad. However when you will need to perform advanced operations then it will not be able to help you. Otherwise it is an awesome device.
•Now with the Transformer Book you will be able to perform all those advanced operations that your iPad couldn't do. And not to forget you would get extra 500GB storage when you attach the tab to the keyboard dock. Despite all of this do not expect it to be a gaming device as unlike iOS games, Windows games demand higher specifications in order to give better graphics. If your'e not looking to game on the Transformer Book then it is the best Windows Detachable laptop the market has to offer.
•So the difference is clear if all you need is a tab that can do the basic stuff then go ahead and grab the iPad but if you want anything more then the Asus Transformer Book T100 is the way to go!

Solution

Yoshimara

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion! I believe I am going to get the iPad Air or wait for the iPad Air 2 to be released as I only plan on using my tablet for the basic stuff.