phone wont charge, just got a new battery

JuggaletteGirl

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
I gave my sister my galaxy s3 because I got a new phone. I knew the charger jack (the part you plugg the charger into) was sensitive and I warned her. (I got the phone from a not so carefull person) I gave her a charger that works in that phone and told her to only use that charger. She decided to try other chargers. Now the phone only vibrates when you plugg it in. And if you can get the screen on it charges up to 1% only. Then turns off. I know its not the battery because I JUST got a new one in that phone. I need to know if there any way I can fix it without bringing it into the shop. It would be a $75 repair and I cant afford that right now.

thx1138v2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
You probably need another new battery. She may have trashed that one by plugging it into the wrong kind of charger. Battery charging is highly dependent on the chemistry of the specific battery being charged. Different battery chemistries have different minimum and maximum voltages for charging as well as different charge rates. For example, gel cell and car batteries have different charging requirements although they are both, generally speaking, lead acid batteries.