Best Mirrorless Camera 2014 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosc

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
If the GM1 comes down in price to the PL5's level, people would probably prefer the more compact Panasonic. The older models (PL3 and GF5) had the 12mp sensor so I guess they're out. Still, for a long time you could get m43rds cameras for around $200 for the body that were a generation behind. If that happens to these, the GM1 might be a pretty appealing option for quite some time.

I can't believe the A6000 isn't on this list. It's autofocus is superior to every other mirrorless camera on the market when it comes to tracking focus and it's 24mp sensor is as good as APS-C gets. It's also a great value with an EVF even if it's kit lens is fairly poor. Compared to the NX300, the Sony has a viewfinder, a better sensor, and a much better autofocus system.

I wouldn't recommend the NX30 either. It costs as much as some Fuji offerings like the X-E2 or the Olympus E-M5

edcord51

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015
It is difficult to take this blog seriously when no Fuji camera is mentioned. I shoot with Sony and Olympus, but my Fuji's are my go to cameras.

kawika808

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
"ability to frame shots on the rear screen make mirrorless models a natural upgrade from smartphone and compact point-and-shoot cameras. Even for advanced shooters, the screen adds the flexibility to frame shots from odd angles and to interact with their subjects instead of hiding behind an eyepiece."
You seem to be missing a major benefit of mirrorless: the ability to shoot Video while looking through the VF. On bright days the LCD can be useless, and at extreme telephoto distances the VF is far better for finding, framing, and stabilizing shots, especially with moving subjects.
You also ignored the availability of lenses--Sony makes great cameras but the very limited lens selection (unless you want the extra cost and Rube Goldberg hassle of adapters) makes them a second choice for many. Olympus & Panasonic are still the best choices; with video the extra size & pixel count of APS-C is irrelevant, the Panny codec (and newer Oly) is great, and you have lots of good lenses that work on either camera.
Also, newer isn't always better. The GX7, for example, outperforms newer cameras in video, burst shooting, and other areas, plus great IQ.
This blog really looks like a quick rehash of press releases, not a serious attempt at analysis and evaluation.

BTW, your site has issues. Couldn’t sign on, got “suspicious activity” messages, never got the confirmation email, etc. “Contact us” leads to some bogus-looking third party site. This is pretty bad for a tech site.

Status
Not open for further replies.