Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 vs LG G Pad 8.3 vs Nexus 7

Jak Atackka

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Title says it all. I'm looking to buy a tablet, and have narrowed my decision to these three tablets. This is going to be a "fun" tablet, used for web browsing, watching Netflix, and light gaming. Each of these tablets have their own strengths, and I'm having trouble deciding which one is best for me.

Samsung:
+ Fantastic screen
+ Most powerful
+ MicroSD card slot
- Mediocre build quality

Nexus 7
+ Pure Android
+ Build quality
+ Great battery life
- No expandable storage
- Smaller screen

LG G Pad
? Not sure how this tablet compares to the other two

Thoughts? Price is not a concern. I was leaning towards the Samsung, but I haven't done enough research to be sure about my decision. I have no experience with tablets, so I may be missing some vital info. For instance, is there a way to transfer files via WiFi to my desktop? And is 16gb adequate, or should I go for 32gb?

Solution
I also bought the Tab Pro 8.4 at BestBuy for a good price I think (on sale at $250, plus an extra 10% off with a copon)
So I ended up paying something like $237 with tax
The screen is very nice, but I'm not sure about the battery life: my previous tablet was a iPad 1st gen, and the battery life was (and still is) great
But with the Samumg, I go from 100% to 90% in less than 1 hour, only surfing
I will try to watch some movies to see how long it last.....
But for the price I paid, it's a nice tablet

Shostakovich Teddy

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
I would prefer Nexus 7. It would probably get the latest update and support from google and its screen is also quite great. Also, comes with pure android, nexus 7 works fast and efficiently, rather than others with pre-installed rubbish app. Maybe you like samsung apps but I think you can work well without them. In addition, just in my opinion, nexus 7 has better design than others. If you dont play big games on your tablet, the performance is hardly distinguished between tablets. 32gb will be enough for you. I know some ways to transfer files between tablet and pc. You can use airdroid, airstream... but i would suggest airdroid (you can search it on google).
If you have any questions about android and tablets, it's my pleasure to answer them :)

aab523

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014

I agree, Nexus 7 does have pure android which is very nice, but the LG and Samsung tablets have better specs for gaming and microSD slots.

Shostakovich Teddy

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
If you are going for serious gaming, I would suggest you nvidia tegra note 7 which is the most powerful 7-inch tablet. It comes with pure android and it has sd card slot. But its screen is not so good (only 1280x768, the color isn't great but acceptable).
By the way, I prefer large internal storage without sd card rather than small internal storage with sd card. You cannot install most apps on sd card, especially big games with .obb data files, without rooting (which could void your warranty). And also, due to restriction in android kitkat 4.4 (if you update to 4.4), apps cannot write on your sd card. It means that you cannot delete files or save download contents... on your sd card just with your tablet. You will need do that actions on a comoputer connecting to your tablet. (You can fix this restriction but you have to root your tablet)
So all in all, if you just play some light games and do some stuff, go for nexus 7. If you play serious games, go for tegra note 7 (you can seek more information about this tablet on google).

Jak Atackka

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I ended up getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. The screen is fantastic, the UI is close enough to stock I don't notice the difference, and I can install applications directly on the SD card. The build quality is also great, and bloatware is surprisingly light.

After researching and reading your comments I was leaning towards the Nexus 7, but the lack of expandable storage really killed it for me. I want to be able to store movie files and large apps on my tablet, but my home wifi is too slow to transfer files between my desktop and tablet (wireless b sucks). If I'm going to spend the time to manually transfer the files from my desktop, I might as well watch it on my desktop.

Thanks for the advice! I ended up making a different decision, but I'm glad I asked here first. I hadn't even thought of the Nvidia Tegra Note 7 or about version updates breaking any important functionality. For now, though, I'm happy with my choice.

jegadeth

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

Are you still enjoying your Samsung? I bought the Nexus 7 2013 less than 2 months ago after getting rid of a 1st gen Galaxy tab 10.1. I had a decent protective case for the Nexus and the screen cracked the first time it fell. I replaced the screen and then that one broke (more my fault but anyway..). I sold it on ebay for $60 to just deal with my loss. Too bad because the performance was great.

Now I want to go back to Samsung but there are so many models now compared to when I got the Tab 10.1. Just wondering how you still liked it.

Jak Atackka

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Still loving it. Samsung has a ton of tablets on the market, but the ones to care about now are the Galaxy Tab Pro and Galaxy Tab S. Both have 8 inch versions with 2560x1600 resolution, but the Tab S trades some CPU and GPU power for a more vivid AMOLED display and a little more battery life. The Tab Pro already has a great screen and good battery life, however. From why I hear, both are very good products.

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
I also bought the Tab Pro 8.4 at BestBuy for a good price I think (on sale at $250, plus an extra 10% off with a copon)
So I ended up paying something like $237 with tax
The screen is very nice, but I'm not sure about the battery life: my previous tablet was a iPad 1st gen, and the battery life was (and still is) great
But with the Samumg, I go from 100% to 90% in less than 1 hour, only surfing
I will try to watch some movies to see how long it last.....
But for the price I paid, it's a nice tablet

Solution