Is the Nexus 5 worth it?

dumad

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Hello guys,

I am looking for a new unlocked phone. I had the galaxy s3 for about 1 1/2 years, and I absolutely hate it. At the time of release, it looked like an amazing, great phone. After the year, the software started bugging, battery sucked, I hated how fragile the phone is, and now my charging port broke, and so I use a wireless charger. Its super annoying. I cant use the micro usb connections anymore :(

So, I started looking into newer phones.
I looked into durable, good phones. I was planning to get iPhone, but the price-tag... ouch
I am NOT getting any more shitsung, I mean Samsung phones

I was planning to get the Nokia X, an Android Nokia phone. It looks good, but the software is modified, so I heard there is no play store, etc.

And then I remembered there is the Nexus 5. It looks great, new software, durable, etc. But, I need first account hands so I do not waste $200+ on another to good to be true phone.

So, reply with this (First Hand Accounts Please):

Is it a durable, phone? What is it made off? Does the screen break easily?
Is the charging connecter good? Is it finicky? Can it break?
How is the battery? Last long enough? Average battery life?
I am mainly looking at the charging port durability and screen. My screen broke 3 times on my s3 from dropping it like 1 foot (Damn plastic) and I had to replace by my self, and my charger port is a wanker.

And, if any of you have other great recemendations- go ahead. But I am not spending more than $300 for an unlocked phone.

Thanks,
Duma

Solution
I have a Nexus 5 and I love it! The Galaxy S3 is packed with so many of Samsung's bloatware while Google Nexus phones come with stock "pure" Android straight from the google warehouses. "Pure" Android almost never gets buggy and it also gets optimized for Nexus phones. The new version of Android "L" that is supposed to be released in the fall is supposed to be the best version yet, and will have approximately a 36% increase in battery life for devices. My Nexus 5 battery lasts all day pretty much, with Android L I know it will be even better. The phone itself is not fragile (especially not like the Nexus 4's back was) I think its pretty sturdy and I've seen drop tests and haven't heard of anyone having problems with the hardware. The...

XForezoneX

Estimable
Jul 9, 2014
I have a Nexus 5 and I love it! The Galaxy S3 is packed with so many of Samsung's bloatware while Google Nexus phones come with stock "pure" Android straight from the google warehouses. "Pure" Android almost never gets buggy and it also gets optimized for Nexus phones. The new version of Android "L" that is supposed to be released in the fall is supposed to be the best version yet, and will have approximately a 36% increase in battery life for devices. My Nexus 5 battery lasts all day pretty much, with Android L I know it will be even better. The phone itself is not fragile (especially not like the Nexus 4's back was) I think its pretty sturdy and I've seen drop tests and haven't heard of anyone having problems with the hardware. The MicroUSB connector on the Nexus 5 is like any other phone, I only charge with USB because its faster and my phone has never broken. The Nexus 5 is a REALLY reliable phone.

I wouldn't worry too much about breaking it or anything like that, the back has a smooth matte finish which doesn't really attract scratches plus the screen is made of corning gorilla glass 3, which is really sturdy. If you do get the phone you should at least get a case for it, even a slim case or one that protects the corners would greatly protect the phone.

P.S. You can find a Nexus 5 for about $200-$400 on Craigslist, and in really good condition sometimes too.

Solution

escanthon

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
The 32gb nexus 5, brand new from play.google.com, for $399. Yes, it has only an 8 megapixel camera, but takes gorgeous, sharp, detailed shots. I remember comparing it to the galaxy s4, and being disappointed that my 13mp shots looked so bland in that comparison. It is sturdy, it doesn't run too hot, it has a lovely 1080p screen, and despite the size of its battery, it easily matches the galaxy s4 or Xperia z1 in juice for all day.

escanthon

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Another great choice is the original Optimus g pro. 13mp cam, 1.7ghz snapdragon 600, 32gb storage PLUS SD card slot. 5.5 inch 1080p screen. You can find it new, used, or unlocked between $200 and $300. Plus, it has an awesome 3140mah battery