Looking to buy a tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyattfg

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
1. Is This Your First Time Buying A Tablet? Yes.

2. Do you already have an operating system in mind? If so specify (iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, Windows RT, Windows 8, etc) Windows 8/8.1

3. What screen size do you have in mind? And your preferred resolution (not required but helps)? Big enough to see comfortably. Definitely bigger than an iPad Mini. A nice, clear HD picture would be nice.

4. Preferred Brand(s) - (ex. Microsoft, Samsung, Asus, Apple) Anything with Windows 8.

5. Brands Not Preferred (specify why) (ex. Hannspree, Acer, etc.) Anything without Windows 8.

6. How much do you want to spend on your tablet? No more than $700-$800, but the less expensive the better as long as quality is not sacrificed.

7. Do you have cellular service? Or do you want the tablet to be WiFi only? Haven't researched it, but if a cellular plan is needed, no thanks.

8. If you do have cellular service, who is your provider and how much data are you allowed per month?

9. Do you want the tablet to be a full laptop replacement? Kind of. I wanted a tablet for college. Just to write papers, do research, whatever. No games or anything, I have an Xbox One for that. If it's good enough to replace my laptop, then good, but if not, it's fine.

10. What existing apps do you use? What do you intend to do with this tablet? Apps? I guess the answer would be Microsoft Office. Do college research, write papers, use as a calculator, etc. I want something nice, but not super high performance so I can run games maxed out. Just a sturdy tablet that will last me 4-5 years.

Solution
Just a couple suggestions, your budget caters for far more than what you want to use a tablet for, no complaints, it's great :)

This tablet at $346 comes with a detachable keyboard too, to cater for longer typing sessions and MS Office included, 10.1" screen http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T100TA-C1-GR-Detachable-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00FFJ0HUE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403264654&sr=1-2&keywords=tablet+windows+8

This would serve more as a Dektop Replacement, 10.6" screen and obviously higher spec $620 though MSOffices not bundled in http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Tablet-Drive-Windows/dp/B00BE5T2TA/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403264654&sr=1-7&keywords=tablet+windows+8

Though for a mainly office use...

chris_shadez

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Just a couple suggestions, your budget caters for far more than what you want to use a tablet for, no complaints, it's great :)

This tablet at $346 comes with a detachable keyboard too, to cater for longer typing sessions and MS Office included, 10.1" screen http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T100TA-C1-GR-Detachable-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00FFJ0HUE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403264654&sr=1-2&keywords=tablet+windows+8

This would serve more as a Dektop Replacement, 10.6" screen and obviously higher spec $620 though MSOffices not bundled in http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Tablet-Drive-Windows/dp/B00BE5T2TA/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403264654&sr=1-7&keywords=tablet+windows+8

Though for a mainly office use type Tablet, i would stick with the first one. Both are Windows 8 and have storage size options.

Solution
G

My opinion,

If you want windows 8 so badly, you are probably looking at a surface pro. They are nicer than my ideal Tablet, but also a lot more expensive. The screen is also not as nice for handwriting in my opinion.

Personally I'd take a good look at the Galaxy note 10.1. I am a fellow student and am about to buy it. The 2014 refresh is still a little expensive, with the street (e-bay) price at $350+, but they usually drop a fair bit after release and resale.

The big deal for me is note taking. I use a lot of paper and white board worth ideas, and want something to keep up with me. This is one of the highest rated stylus note to text systems, it supports a nice android interface, multi window, has a long battery life, and is a quality device.

Really, I wouldn't consider anything without a stylus, touch screen, and enough real estate to use both, but that's just my needs.

Maybe there is something I'm missing about W8?

wyattfg

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
I want a Windows tablet because it's what I'm used to, and I've never liked android. I really like how the surface pro looks, but it is relatively expensive. Is it worth the extra money? As for the first answerer, my budget is higher than what I need because I want a quality tablet. One that I don't have to wait on to load or that will freeze up when put under stress with opening a lot at once or whatever may do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.