• Chromebook

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Surface

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Izec86

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Toshiba chromebook or Microsoft Surface RT?

Chromebook ~$230
Surface ~$275

I'm considering getting an extra small device for use around the house. I want it to be flexible enough in function for use in the kitchen (recipes storage and lookup), for kids (watching netflix, educational apps, and maybe simple games), browsing the web (email, reading articles, online shopping). Possible other feature include basic productivity (office vs google docs) and possible website or blog codeing/writing.

They have a $50 difference in price but not having experience with either OS I'm not sure which would be preferred.

I'm leaning toward the chromebook due to longevity of the OS but the idea of tablet functionality seems very handy.

Please share your opinions, experience, and other things for me to consider.

I would not get either system, both have big restrictions to their use. Get a regular iPad or Android tablet or a real laptop with Windows or Linux. RT is likely to end up a dead end operating system and Chromebooks are dependent on an internet connection to function and are not good with connecting peripherals to or for games.

Both of these devices have pros and cons. If all you will do is browser - you can't beat Chromebook. RT tablet has the luxury of being able to work offline in "familiar" Office environment.

The biggest problem with both of them is availability of apps. With Surface, you are limited to metro-style applications only.

Forget about any development work on both of them.

Izec86

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

I assumed basic (html/css) web development may be possible, but thanks for the heads up.