Microsoft Windows Defender 2014 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vin3

Estimable
Mar 11, 2015
malwarebytes and windows defender are great together.
tom obviously got paid for this article just look at his adverts.

Matt Rundle

Estimable
Feb 27, 2015
Windows Defender is basically the same thing as MSE it offers the same level of protection, i think the thing where Windows users get confused is MSE and the new Windows Defender is differnt than the old Defender. the old version is anti malware MSE and Windows Defender are Microsoft's version of an Antivirus, it's not most effective but it's all you need. +Malwarebytes. If you suspect a virus, Update Defender and run full scan to be most effective.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014
Windows Defender is not enough, even with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware running as the cleanup crew. Believe us. If you don't want to pay for AV software, try Avira, AVG or Avast, which are as, or almost as, good as the paid stuff.

DyingCrow

Estimable
Jul 16, 2015
These are all trash.
Want free?
-UAC
-Windows Defender (barking dog at the gate)
-Firefox with AdBlock PLus
-Malwarebytes to clean up trash, but do yourself a favor and buy a license.
-Common sense

You'll be almost invincible.

Cavehomme1

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
Had trouble signing-in, now I got 2 draft reviews above that need removing please ;)

Windows Defender may have missed 20% of zero day malware samples a while ago, but in recent months it is nearly as good as the others. Coupled with a second lie of defence such as the equally free Comodo Firewall to stop unknown nasties slipping through and phoning back home, it's pretty much all anyone needs.

I've tried most of the AV / suites out there over the years and I've come back to using MS / Defender for the reason that it just works and with minimal impact.

In my own recent tests of trojan droppers embedded in docs, pdfs, etc, Defender has been spotting most of these whilst Bitdefender and Norton were missing them, confirmed by checking on Virustotal. MS may not be the best but they've come an awful long way and with an extra light layer such as CFW I personally think it's the best and reliable solution out there, had too many issues with all of the others I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.