What to buy....

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Hi
I need a new tablet to replace my current iPad 1st gen ( i will give it to my daughter)
I mainly use my tablet to watch movies when i travel, and read my emails or surf the web
I like my ipad, except the synchronization stuff with itune. I find it to complex to load a couple of movies beore i travel
I was thinking about the Samsung Pro 8.4", or on a different style the acer switch 10 which is Windows 8.1

What do you guys think?

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I've looked at getting away from my iPad for a change, but just can't do it.
The 'new' higher resolution iPads look pretty amazing. I travel a fair bit too, and getting 8-10 hours movie playback on my 3rd gen is enough to seal the deal.

Using VLC Player etc for movies is less of a pain. You still need iTunes, but you can click and drag movies over.
An SC card slot would be nice, but if my laptop is anything to go by, as soon as you plug in anything SD or USB, battery life takes a bit of a nose dive, and lets face it, if you plan ahead a little 32Gb is enough storage for more movies than you have time to watch. Especially since its "32Gb of storage space for your stuff". Not 32Gb of storage space for your stuff, once we use half of that for the OS and apps, leaving you with ~12Gb of usable space". I'm looking at Microsoft Tablets here.

okcnaline

Honorable
Herald
Nov 17, 2013
Do you still want a 10" tablet? If you're looking for simple and good sync, try Microsoft Surface 2 (RT). If looking for Android, Galaxy Tab 4 10.1".

If you're shrinking size, then Galaxy Tab Pro 8.0" or Galaxy Tab 4 8.0" would work.

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
My ipad is still a great tablet, and i can transfer files without itune, using FileBrowser and download files from my dropbox or home server. But when i'm on the go, i would like to be able to download some movies or tv shows with microtorrent for example but it doesn't workmon ipad !!!
This is why i was thinking about an android or win 8 tablet
For the size, i'm not sure. My ipad being 9"7 and 4:3, i wonder if a smaller tablet such as the samsung Pro 8"4 but 16:9 would not be too much of a difference.....

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Now, I 'm hesitating between the galaxy tab 4 10.1" ($299) and the galaxy Pro 8.4" ($279)
The 1st one is bigger for only $20 more, but the 2nd one is the Pro, with a beautiful screen..........!!!!

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007

I would be tempted to go with the Galaxy tab pro 8.4".....for $279, seems a nice tablet

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
I went to BestBuy and saw the new Galaxy Tab S 8.4. Beautiful indeed, but wow......$400
The good thing is now, the Tab Pro 8.4" is on sale at $250
I don't think the difference is worth $150
I may pull the trigger on the Tab Pro....