S5 Waterproof, Awesome or Accident waiting to happen?

Setsukai

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
I just got my new Galaxy S5. I've seen the videos showing just how well the phone holds up to water, and I showered with it this morning to test it out for myself. It worked perfectly before, during and after, so I'm pretty much sold on the validity of Samsung's waterproof claims, but before I can fully trust it in water I need a question answered.

Should the waterproofing fail at any point, what is the worst that could happen?

For example, if I'm taking a bath and want to read an e-book and I drop the phone in the tub, if the waterproofing somehow failed and water leaked in, would the phone suffer damage or is there an actual threat of electrocution? Obviously the phone is not meant to be used near water while plugged in, I'm talking about off battery power here.

shahbaz200

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Waterproof phones wont fail inside in water below some limit. As phone goes inside depth of water, pressure exerted by water increase. This increased pressure with increased depth of water probably could damage phone. Also there is a limit beyond which a phone can kept inside water. Like Xperia Z have limit to 1 m depth and 30min of duration. After that period no guarantee. Also note that S5 should have its own limit not same as Xperia Z!!

However you asked about falling in tub. I don't think so it is 1 meter deep lol. Depth is fine there.
Water have more high density and resistance as compared to air, so if it goes inside it wont fall on surface with the same speed it does in air. Ultimately its speed should decrease when it falls inside water. Its waterproofing shouldn't fail as I think according to above facts though you should care!

Setsukai

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

But is there a chance that the phone could electrocute someone on its battery charge? That's all I'm concerned about, since from everything I've seen and read if the S5 stops working after being exposed to water, airing it out overnight should fix the problem.

shahbaz200

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
It don't have such voltage to electrocute someone. Many phones (I guess S5 too) have battery voltages of 3.7 approximately. It is very less to injure. You can also try to put a 9v battery on your tongue it will hurt but little. 3.7 volt is less there shouldn't be any problem. Yes letting it dry if water gets inside sometimes helps. Water makes circuits meet together so letting water dry will fix it. So if you fall it and water gets inside of phone, immediately take it out and put in front of some speedy fan and let it dry. Make sure you have removed battery first!

Also dear whats the urgent need of using phone when you take bath? lol..

TheInfoLearner

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014

There is a confusion between water proof and water resistant!

S5 is water resistant

Water Proof : Will NEVER let in water.

Water Resistant : Will RESIST water for a specified depth and time eventually seeping through

TRENDING THREADS