Looking to add something to stream media to the computers around the house.

G

I want to add media streaming capabilities to my home network. Unfortunately, I am unaware of how I should go about it, especially with so many options available.

-This device will only be used to stream media (Movies - Blu-ray rips,Music, and Photos).
-I want it to be able to stream to at least 4 devices at a time [A combination of Windows, OSX, XB360/PS3, Roku, and if possible mobile devices.]
-This device will not be used for back up.
-I wouldn't need to access any of these things outside of the house, although the ability to view my media through the cloud would be nice.
-Would like at least 3-4TB

I currently have a Linksys E4200 that has a USB 2 port, I doubt that it would be able to handle multiple streams from an external HDD. Would I get a NAS and utilize that as a media server? Would I go the DIY route? Or would I repurpose an older computer?

My budget is approximately $400.

Where would I start?

Thanks!

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I don't think the previous poster quite understood what you were asking for.

If you are going to be streaming to several different playback devices, all with differing codec support, then DIY is really your only option. Transcoding HD video takes CPU horsepower. Just get an inexpensive Windows, PC with an i3 or better CPU and a gigabit port. Then install Plex Media Server or something similar on it. You can then set up your playback clients on your other devices. Plex will scrape and take care of the rest for you.

G

I'm not worried about the codecs so much since everything is being ripped as .mp4's. I'd say most of my devices wouldn't have issues with it.
Building a computer is probably my only option at this point, but it wouldn't be as small as I'd like.

What about synology products, or something like the Intel NUC/gigabyte brix?

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Your PS3 won't playback .mkv files and your Xbox requires an .mp4 file with a 2 channel .aac stream as the primary audio channel, just so you are aware.

If your files are compliant with this, then just about any NAS will do. I believe there is a Plex plug in for Synology.

If you're interested, you can roll your own with the extra CPU power in something like unRAID, though.