Laggy Adobe Premiere, Settings or CPU?

CPU or Settings?

• CPU needs upgraded!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You should be able to edit video with this build...

• You need to upgrade CPU, and your RAM!

• Total voters

Cameronandcolour

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I'm trying to edit some HD footage that I had filmed with my Canon t4i, and messing with some greenscreen effects. However, upon placing my footage (about a minute and a half long clip) onto my timeline, the preview footage (set to 1/4, and it does not allow me to go lower) is just super laggy/skippy, and I did some editing through the lag, despite not being able to see what I was really doing in preview.. and then tried exporting, but the exported video is also skippy and laggy. I've done research and believe I have the proper sequence settings to match the footage, 1080p, 30fps. etc. and watched several videos on YouTube that claim to be solutions to the problem.. so I'm left wondering if it's something I'm doing, or if I simply need to upgrade my CPU/RAM. I'll post my build below this. Anyone with knowledge on the topic, should I stop wasting my time trying to work out a solution within the program, because it's simply my CPU/RAM? Or, should I realistically be able to work with my build, and it's likely something I'm doing.. I'm lost, and I've tried searching for a solution myself, but no luck.

CPU - AMD FX-4300 3.8Ghz
GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB
Memory - 8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz RAM (2 sticks of 4)
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3
HDD -Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
PSU - OEM 700W
Case - NZXT Phantom Full-Tower
Monitors - AOC I2269W x 2

Do you have QuickTime installed? If I am not mistaken the T4i saves video files as .mov files. If you do, have you tried playing the clips outside of Premiere to see if they lag? I'm not sure about the CPU as I have only run Premiere on an Intel CPU. As far as RAM goes an upgrade to 16GB may help. Are the project files stored on the same drive as the OS and Premiere? If yes, a good upgrade might be adding a second hard drive to store you project files on. With video editing it is a good idea to have a second drive as a scratch drive. What version of Premiere are you using?