Can I use any carrier Galaxy S4 with Metro PCS?

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
If I buy a used GS4 from any major carrier like, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, etc. can I unlock it myself and use Metro PCS as my carrier with it? I know the GS4 has a SIM card slot, so would I be able to just unlock the phone, then go to Metro PCS and just sign up for a plan with it, then they pop in their SIM card into the phone? Would that actually work? Please help. Thanks in advance!

Solution

Thanks Michael, MetroPCS is now GSM-based, so an unlocked device should work. I'd contact them about the specifics of your phone.

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Thanks Michael, MetroPCS is now GSM-based, so an unlocked device should work. I'd contact them about the specifics of your phone.

Solution

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

If I helped you, could you please select my answer as the solution? It helps others find the answer, along with giving me thanks for helping you :)

dembou

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
Post was several months old but it showed in the top results of my search, so I just want to clarify what ZIRCOBEN said in case this comes up for someone else seeking information.

ZIRCOBEN SAID: "No. It would have to be from a CDMA carrier like Sprint or Verizon. AT&T and T-Mobile have GSM networks"

For most - but not all - phones, it is true that they are compatible with either GSM (T-Mobile, ATT, Metro PCS...) or CDMA (Sprint, Verizon...), but there are SOME phones that are compatible with both GSM and CDMA, and one of such phones is the Galaxy S4. I own two GS4's with sprint (CDMA) branding, I sim unlocked both and currently use them with T-Mobile (GSM). With T-Mobile, everything works (calls, text, internet) except for 4G LTE, but you still are able to get HSPA+ internet speeds which is faster than 3G but slower than 4G LTE. I can also use any simcard from the other GSM carriers.

The correct answer to the original post is YES, you can sim unlock a GS4 and use it with Metro-PCS.

tammybrant

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
IM SO CONFUSED...EVERYONE IS SO SURE OF THEMSELVES IM NOT SURE WHO TO BELEIVE!! LOL

David Towle

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014
Metro pcs is now owned by tmobile, so they now use gsm network. So yes you can bring an unlocked s4 to metro, if it's not from sprint/boost..any unlocked gsm phone will work on metro pcs/tmobile.....before metro was purchased by tmobile they used cdma phones, I think that's why your getting different answers, but I assure you it will work, I had an att s4 unlocked, and used metro.

michaelr481

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014

Just wanted to say that Metro PCS is all GSM now.. They're operating on T-mobile's network.

~MetroPCS employee

mls1441

Estimable
Jan 28, 2015

Hi I have the same issue. I have a s4 with sprint that I want to unlock for metro pcs here in Illinois. Do you know how to unlock the phone? please let me know Thanks

Averick

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015

Averick

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015
Dembou is correct ! The other guy is old school, what he said used to be true, however, nowadays, the CDMA phones (Sprint & Verizon) that have a sim card will most likely work with a GSM carrier (T-Mobile & AT&T) if the device is unlocked.

UPSworka

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015

TRENDING THREADS