Connect PC (DVI) to Smart TV (HDMI)

G

Hi guys,

I would like to connect my PC (GPU Radeon HD 6410D http://tiny.cc/gjt5fx) to my Samsung TV 40F7000S (http://tiny.cc/jvs5fx) to play some BD and HD files I have.

Considering I only have a DVI port available I thought about getting a DVI to HDMI adapter and than an HDMI 1.4 cable.
I also read that I will need an audio cable to get sound on the TV: is this correct and in that case which kind of cable I need?

I would like to know if with this set-up I will actually be able to play HD files, including 3D, or if they will look in SD like on my PC monitor.

If this is not a good solution anything better you can recommend?

Thank you all.

G

Thanks Someone Somewhere.

Can you see from my TV specs if mine does please?
I think it does as it has 2 audio jacks in the "Component In" panel at the back.
Also would you mind actually showing me the cable I need to buy in some online store?

Many thanks

It doesn't look like it does, but it can be hard to tell. Essentially you have to force the audio to come from the analog ports, while the video is going in HDMI. The fact that one of the HDMI ports is labeled "(DVI)" indicates that this could be possible.

You'd want something like this.

Separate speakers tend to be far better than TV ones though, if you can find a set.

G

The audio issue was a doubt of a friend of mine as well.
I just contacted Samsung live chat and the person who assisted me wasn't that sure either so got away saying they guarantee only HDMI to HDMI.

Thanks for the link.

No the TV doesn't have audio imput specific for each of the 4HDMI ports so I guess it's all up to the TV software to understand where the audio is coming from.

Thank you for that converter suggestion: have you tried the product?

I agree that it is a bit pricey but I understand even less of GPUs and how to mount them.
I guess they would cost more anyway.

G

Hello again,

The PC is this model but they list all the available specs.
I am in Italy so no rebates for me.
That's a great site thanks: always wanted to assemble my own PC at one point.

Not sure where you can buy from in Italy, but they're probably still not that pricey.

Amazon Italy has this: http://www.amazon.it/Sapphire-Hd5450-Pci-E-Dvi-I-Ddr3/dp/B005LGTI06/

Just found a review that has this:
Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Ethernet (LAN) x 1, HDMI x 4, USB x 3, headphone x 1, component in (Y/Pb/Pr) x 1, composite in (AV) x 1, digital audio out (optical) x 1, DVI Audio In (Mini Jack) x 1, PC in (via HDMI), Scart x 1, RF In (Terrestrial / Cable input) x 1, Anynet+, MHL, Ci slot

If you get a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, it should work (I'm guessing. Don't have a set in front of me to test).

Can you see if there's a little hole for a headphone cable next to the HDMI input marked DVI?

G

Thanks a lot for all your help.

That GPU is indeed quite cheap.
I guess I can find some video on youtube on how to mount it.

No unfortunately there is no audio entry next to HDMI DVI port.
On top of that I also posted in Samsung Forum and one of their people confirmed that.
He suggested getting external speakers which I guess could be another solution.

The audio of the TV isn't that impressive, so one of those external sound bars would be nice, but I have no clue about TV speakers (I am generally clueless as you can see).

Anyway I was looking for a quick solution, like a couple of cables, at the moment but I guess it will not be the case.

Thank you.

AlexTall

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015

AlexTall

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015
hi, i have not tried it yet. but i found the manual for my tv. it says that to get sound from a dvi/hdmi combination you connect to the phono red and white audio inputs in your tv and not headphones socket. this makes sense i think. but when i tried plugging in headphones in to tv it worked, even though there was no connection with pc? am i missing something? thanks.

AlexTall

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015
yes, i know. anyway. turns out manuel was correct using phono connection works. this makes sense. since if using dvi from pc you need separate audio cable as well, headphone jack worked with headphones only. even though there was only a dvi picture signal into tv? that is what i find strange.