Is Google Glass Worth $1,500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mand12

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
The $80 estimate is completely wrong. To use just one blatant example, they estimated $3 for the display, but all they did was get a price for a piece of bulk glass. A waveguide display like that is going to be the bulk of the manufacturing cost, and will be a LOT more than three bucks.

They might know electronics, but they definitely know nothing about optics.

ss202sl

Honorable
When the IBM PC first came out, the same question was raised. Who needs this new PC thing. As soon as VisiCalc came out, suddenly everyone had to have a PC. Until there is some application that makes Google Glass something I HAVE to have, I don't need it.

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
The $80 estimate is completely wrong. To use just one blatant example, they estimated $3 for the display, but all they did was get a price for a piece of bulk glass. A waveguide display like that is going to be the bulk of the manufacturing cost, and will be a LOT more than three bucks. Yeah, but not more than 25 which already would be stupid expensive for it, if its more than someones a bit, or you would asssume its 1400 dollars for the display?

They might know electronics, but they definitely know nothing about optics.

Mand12

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
The display is at least several hundred. Waveguide displays are not cheap, the optical design and fabrication are quite involved.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Comparing apples to oranges but still being able to make juice out of either, I'll settle for the best GoPro Hero camera WITH accessories for 1/3 the price.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Ill buy it when it can play crysis... or see my enemy power level... Or when It can read mathematical formulas and give me the answer to them.

Something worth 1500 dollars must be usefull, not only innovative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS