Time for an Upgrade - S5, Note 3, or HTC One (M8)

tannjj

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
So it's been about 3 years and it's time to get a new phone. I've decided I want to go Android since I'm pretty over my iPhone 4. It's slow, clunky, and with as much reading as I do on my phone, I'm looking for a bigger screen. So what's my best option? I figured the S5, Note 3, or HTC One (M8) were all my best options since they're all the newest androids, but what would you guys suggest?

Prasant10

Estimable
May 4, 2014
Wait for the One Plus One(which is supposed to come out in June) but if not the nexus 5. However, if you just want a bigger screen, wait for an iphone 6 which is supposed to have a a screen of 4.7 inches and supposedly another model with 5.5 inches.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I just recently got the HTC One M8, and although I haven't had it for all that long, I really really like it. As an upgrade from the iOS platform, the larger screen real estate is really very nice, but you can still use it most of the time with one hand even. Also, the audio quality is out of this world, and despite what you may have heard, the M8's camera is pretty decent, especially in low-light scenarios, although I am not a photographer and would not recommend this phone solely for photography. However, the OS of the phone is fantastic, and the 2.3 GHz (2.5 if you live in Asia I believe) quad-core processor is one of the best around, and the experience is amazingly smooth. I can't personally vouch for the other devices, nor the longevity of the M8 and customer care, but so far the actual phone is awesome.

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (LAST PLACE)
*HUGE screen (really, this thing won't fit in your pocket)
*Excellent camera and screen
*Slow and not great software
*$700

Samsung Galaxy S5: (3RD)
*Excellent screen
*Excellent camera
*Slow and not great software, again
*$600

HTC One M8 (2ND)
*Excellent Screen
*Good camera, but if you zoom AT ALL it gets ugly
*Excellent software, HTC Sense 6
*$600

Nexus 5 (1ST)
*Good screen
*Very good camera
*Excellent software, just not as beautiful as HTC's Sense
*ONLY $350!!

By buying the Nexus 5 off contract, you will save a lot of money and will get a phone with the latest and greatest software that Google has to offer.

I have a friend that has a Nexus 5 and it far outperformed my HTC One (M7) camera and looked better than my iPhone 5S's camera in a lot of cases. It is also the smallest of the group and won't overwhelm you too much, coming from the iPhone 4.

Hope that helps!

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Actually, if you still haven't bought the phone yet, which I assume you already have made your decision, but regardless: I would highly recommend the new LG G3. It has an amazing 2560x1440 screen, which is higher resolution than most home PC's on a ~5 inch screen, which makes for some amazing viewing(all of this and following from MKBHD and other reviewers)! It also has a host of good software, and despite having such a high resolution, the phone doesn't ever really lag whatsoever. It also has a really good camera and cool features such as laser auto-focus and many more, plus a really good battery that not only is roughly as good as the very strong one inside the HTC One M8, but is also removable.

Honestly, I really like my HTC One M8, a lot, but if I were presented with the choice between the M8 and the G3 right now (the G3 was not released when I purchased my phone), I would probably go with the G3.

The only big issue with the G3 is that it is easily overheated, so much so that you will have to limit your screen brightness because that can make the device get too hot and give you an on-screen warning about it. Also, speaker quality is meh, nothing near the HTC One M8.