Got an extra Laptop but don't know what to do with it?!

madcow043

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
OK so background story:

My friend dropped his laptop a couple of weeks ago (HP Pavilion dv6-673cl with i7-2670QM and the problem is that ever since dropping it, the screen has been acting up with severe flickering to the point that you can't really use the laptop and extreme overheat (I'm guessing that its either the mobo or the GPU?) Sometimes the laptop just decides to work and be fine...what do you guys think the problem is?

Diox55

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014
I'd say, it probaly knocked the fan cooler out of place or something similar to that for the heating issues. For the screen, remount the ram first. If that doesn't work, then I'd take off the screen and possibly put in a new one, if you don't know how then take it to a shop to get a new screen.

madcow043

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008

i tried connecting a VGA cable but the laptop doesn't even recognize anything, that's why im saying that the motherboard is the most likely culprit. Also, ive noticed that after a while, the laptop starts to work fine (meaning that the screen is undamaged) My theory for this is that as the laptop heats up, the damaged solders reconnect because of slight melting....can anyone help me out? I'm almost convinced thats the problem, so now I'm looking to buy a new motherboard, what do you guys think?