Should I get the iPad Air or Samsung Galaxy Note 12.2?

rye04

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
I have had my iPad 2 since the release date. It has worked great for many years until IO7 came out. It is now incredibly slow. I have done everything that I can to speed it up, I have even gone as far as wiping the device and starting anew. All I really use my iPad 2 for is reading (with nook application), taking notes (with Microsoft OneNote) and email. I am not using my iPad for gaming, I just want something that is responsive. Flipping through pages while reading now takes 4-5 seconds, as with iOS6 it was under 1 second.

With that said, I am a little apprehensive about purchasing another iPad. I don’t’ want to have to replace it in 3 years because of a new iOS.

I have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Note 12.2. One of the main reasons I am looking at it, is the stylus. I have been trying to determine if you can use the stylus with Microsoft One Note. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I also understand there is a learning curve with an Android product, along with losing the purchases that I have made in the App store. I would be curious to know if other people that have purchased an android tablet 3+ years ago, if they are still able to use it or if they had to get a new one do to operating system updates?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
My wife and I both just bought Samsung Galaxy note tab 3's, the 7inch ones, the maroon Valentines day special edition ones. and we absolutely hate them. My wife actually threw hers across the living room out of sheer frustration just trying to browse the web this past weekend. They are really, really slow, and they have a tough time aquiring a good signal from wireless access points. I regret spending the money for them and wish we would have stepped up to an Ipad. Seriously. I don't know about the full size tablets, but I am really unhappy with the note tabs. Our smart phones(HTC and Iphone) are way superior to these things.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
My wife and I both just bought Samsung Galaxy note tab 3's, the 7inch ones, the maroon Valentines day special edition ones. and we absolutely hate them. My wife actually threw hers across the living room out of sheer frustration just trying to browse the web this past weekend. They are really, really slow, and they have a tough time aquiring a good signal from wireless access points. I regret spending the money for them and wish we would have stepped up to an Ipad. Seriously. I don't know about the full size tablets, but I am really unhappy with the note tabs. Our smart phones(HTC and Iphone) are way superior to these things.

Solution

siam672

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
iPad Air is one of the tablets which looks bloody premium and to be honest, Note 12.2 looks quite plastic. I mean after the leather back, it still looks plastic and it's a bit too big for a carry-around tablet. So in my opinion go for the iPad Air. iPad Air is like a hand-grenade with the capability of a nuclear bomb. However, Note 12.2 is still like a nut in the nutshell. but then, it's my opinion. But I would hardly suggest the iPad Air.

Thermoproduct

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
Well, this is my Biased opinion. Since I really dislike apple products.
You see. The iPad air has awesome battery life, which is great if you are away from home all-day. But the compared performance is iffy. The Note has more, how do you say, freedom and customizability. especially if you are big on privacy, and conservation of battery life and etc.
In a nutshell it all goes down to aesthetics and preferences.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Well you can't really compare the 7" Tab 3 to the Galaxy Note 12.2. The Tab 3 is a much older model made to work with a much older version of Android. It's funny that you say that, I bought one through Sprint and I've never had any problems with mine. And mine works on 4G at that. I've been in the same boat too, I have a 2nd generation iPad and I've been debating whether or not to sell it and upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 12.2 or the iPad Air, I'm leaning more toward the iPad Air after using my friends'.