Looking for a new Lappy

G

Well everyone was so helpful with my desktop build on this site I thought I would post for some opinions on a new laptop. Im in Canada (importent to note because our prices are a bit jacked up), and I only want to buy my laptop from Costco. Reason being, they offer a 3 year warranty against pretty much EVERYTHING for 99 bucks. Im on my 4th laptop and not one of them has made it 3 years without breaking down so this seems like a no brainer for me. For a comparable warranty from anyone else up here, if you could even get it, it would be a few hundred more.

All that said, buying from there is a compromise because my options are so limited. I need this for school (network admin/programming), but I would also be using it at home for the usual stuff and some gaming.

So, Im torn between these two:

http://www.costco.ca/Toshiba-Qosmio-X70-A-01K-17.3-in.-Bilingual-Laptop%2c-i7-4700MQ.product.100057717.html

http://www.costco.ca/Acer-Aspire-V3-772G-9808-Bilingual-Notebook%2c-i7-4702MQ-.product.100109666.html

The Acer seems to check all the boxes, I would install a SSD for the operating system, but I am concerned that the GPU is kind of weak for any real gaming.

The Toshiba is a bit overkill, and a bit more than I wanted to spend, and again I would have to install a SSD. The GPU is much better though and it would be much more future proof Im thinking.

I guess the real question is would the Geforce GT 750M in the Acer be any good?

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
It seems the hard core gamers tend to go with a minimum of the 760. I have an Acer AS 8950G and I bought it wanting to add a SSD and move the 750 gb drive to the second bay. Well there was a second bay but no way to connect a second drive. Well I called Acer and they said I couldn't with my model BUT in knew in Australia they sold the 8950G with 2 drives. I contacted a place in England that had a cable that looked like it would work but they send back to me say this would only work on the 8943G. Then I found a place in Canada the had the cable and it had an Acer 8950G part number. I ordered it and a second bay cover both totaled about 40. The SSD i received came in kit with a USB external drive cover and Acronis True image imaging software. I cloned the the drive and connected it and it booted right away like twice as fast. I then did it again when I got a bigger SSD. I also replaced the wireless card and maxed out the ram. So try to look at the insides to see which is easier to upgrade. Also check the Costco warranty to see if they would cover if you change the configuration.

G

Well thats something I never would have thought to check. All my previous laptops have had a second bay with all the hookups there already. I'll have to check out both somehow...that would be frustrating.

Also a good point on the warranty. I wouldn't think expansion would be an issue though...I wouldn't be altering anything really, but I'll double check.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
MSI puts a seal on their laptops and if the seal is broke they won't cover honor the warranty whereas Alienware almost encourages you to upgrade. I did have some warranty work done where i couldn't get output on the laptop screen but could on an external. It was a 3rd party warranty company. I just removed the SSD i added and moved the HD back to bay one. I had installed an intel wireless card so I used another computer to DL the driver and copied to a flash drive and then i had the internet. I didn't reformat the HD so it was still bootable.