Samsung Series 3 CPU Upgrade

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to post this for those of you who currently own a Samsung Series 3 and are thinking to upgrade the CPU. I found very little, practically no information on this. I tried and checked every where but found nothing. So I decided to try it anyways. I had an unusual model, a Turkish one but they all have pretty much the same motherboard and chipset so I suspect the results will be the same.

I upgraded from an i5-3210m to an i7-3632qm. Big boost of performance. My games are still bottlenecked by the GPU, but the integrated GPU is faster for light stuff, the power consumption is likely better at idle, and any CPU intensive tasks will be much faster.

This is likely because the TDP and power consumption remain at a 35 TDP level and likely change little. Other higher TDP CPUs may work but I didn't try them.

Windows Index Score:
i5-3210m
Processor: 7.1
RAM: 7.5
Graphics: 6.5
Gaming Graphics: 6.5
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

i7-3632qm
Processor: 7.5
RAM: 7.8
Graphics: 6.6
Gaming Graphics: 6.6
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

Definitely a good upgrade. After this and upgrading the battery, HDD, RAM, CPU, and overclocking the GPU to the max I now can game on stuff like Bioshock Infinity on medium settings or run faster without AA, and I can compress files super fast. I'm only $600 into it too. :D

armapker

Distinguished
May 19, 2012
Thanks for the post, it really helps a lot when someone wants to do the same thing you did. As I am sure you know it's an absolute pain shuffling through the internet archives to see if an upgrade will work, and then still not being totally sure.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Thanks, I just hope someone will find it useful. This series of Samsung laptops is entirely low cost budget systems with the majority not even having dedicated GPUs, but you get a model with a GPU and do this CPU upgrade and you have a lot of power in a cheap system so hopefully some budget techies will find it helpful.

Haha yea finding information was a pain. In fact, I can't find a single person other than me who has done it with this series of laptops. Samsung doesn't give a word about it, but I honestly don't think they want you to upgrade. I found a site somewhere giving a little bit of info in general on upgrading from one mobile CPU and how likely it would succeed, but that was on the mobile socket and not on the laptop so it was a total up in the air if it would work or not. Glad it did though, this thing runs amazing now. :)