HP Pavilion 17-e153sa Vs Dell Inspiron 17r-5737

jonny123456

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
I'm in the market for a new laptop preferably with a 17" screen (since my old HP Compaq 6820s has just died).

I want something reliable that will last a long time. I'm planning on using it primarily watch movies, (occasional downloading NZBs in the background simultaneously - no correlation between the two ;)). In the future I'll probably want to output to TV when I finally get around to updating that too. Other than that it'll just be used for web-browsing and MS Office. I don't plan on gaming.

I'm thinking of either a HP Pavilion 17-e153sa for £550 or a Dell Inspiron 17R 5737 for £500.

I'm a bit (a lot!) out of touch with PC hardware, so from what I can see the differences between the two are: The HP has integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics whereas the Dell has a dedicated AMD Radeon™ HD 8870M 2GB GDDR5. However the HP comes with an Intel® Core™ i5-4200M which I believe to be better (faster) than the Dells Intel® Core™ i5-4200U (albeit at the cost of being less efficient). The Dell has 4 USB ports vs the HPs 3 ports, and the HP has a VGA port that the dell doesn't. Have I missed anything significant?

My gut tells me to pay the extra £50 to go for the HP. From experience HP has always been more reliable than Dell (is that still the general opinion), so may be the one to go for for longevity (especially having the faster processor). I'm just slightly aware of the integrated graphics (as in times gone by that was always a big no-no). Any thoughts from the experts?

Ventrus

Estimable
May 2, 2014
Not a solution really but I believe I had the same dilemma, had been looking into a new laptop and came across the HP Pavilion, same one you mentioned. I couldn't find much in the way of reviews online either for guidance, but compared to the other laptops at the store I think it had good value for price. I bought it in the end and just finished setting it up. So far so good. The 17 screen is nice. Though very pre-mature to give a review, my first impressions are good. I couldn't tell you what graphics will be like as that's not really the purpose of the laptop, but if something goes drastically wrong in the next few days then I will post an update :) You may have made your decision, but just throwing this out anyway. There isn't much info on the HP laptop that I can see

jonny123456

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks for that. Ironically I went ahead and made the purchase online on the same day you posted (and am now eagerly awaiting it's delivery).

I ended up being able to get a discount through my work on the Pavilion e105sa (i.e. the 4GB version) making it cheaper for me to buy that and a 4GB upgrade from crucial.

Hopefully I'll be pleased with it!