Samsung Book 9 plus, ASUS Zenbook UX301LA or ACER Aspire S7-392

Skorpz

Estimable
Apr 20, 2014
Hello there,

I am hoping someone can help me decide on which 13.3 inch ultrabook to go for. First of all my situation I guess: For work I tend to run simulations every now and then, well pretty much full time atm. My current laptop is at the end of its life so when I decide to get a new one I am quite settled to go for an i7 (since the cluster isn't always available for short runs and I can break it up in a few hours each run on my i5 desktop). But since I like being able to work and keep my data with me at all times I am quite settled on going for one of these (Macbook I have excluded since I had let's say quite some issues with them and some people still have quite some issues at my work that use their ultrabook).

Samsung:
The configuration is basically what I want i7, 256GB SSD, 8GB. Only a bit on the expensive side, never had a laptop from them but all the samsung products I have so far my SSD etc never had problems and gives me let's say a comfortable feeling.

ASUS:
I have seen 2 different i7 CPU's for this one of which the faster one is a bit more tempting. The 2 Raid 0 SSD's have me worried as in what kind of SSD's these are, thus if this are 2 cheap(lower quality) ones that are joined in order to keep the cost down and provided a better performance or something else going on? other then that seems to be the fastest option for the money.

Acer:
No real comments about it since it has the same the samsung has, didn't find if the brand of the parts are the same or not. But both look quite the same other then to say that the Acer only comes in white :)

Would appreciate any advice! unless someone knows about a other laptop coming out soon that gives the same things that I want but at a better price or such.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I want just to clear something, when you put a 4 core i7 cpu on a ultrabook it gets really really hot. I dont know what type of simulations you run maybe if you could tell us the programs you use we could see if its more graphic or cpu workload oriented. I personally use a Surface 2 from windows and run a program called petrel on it, its a little slow but what can you ask from something portable? and i only run it on my home when i take some of my work home. If the surface 2 its not an option because of the I5 and 512gb ssd then i suggest the Samsung.

Skorpz

Estimable
Apr 20, 2014
So some are in calculation software like Matlab and to lesser extend mathematica. However I am also coding stuff in C++ and running it with intel's MKL library's. I know it will get hot but my current laptop (3+ kg or 6.6+lbs) is just on older due core and is hitting up to 90 degrees Celsius (or 194 Fahrenheit) so I am guessing the new laptops should be better and more portable.